Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10935702 06/23/15 08:36 PM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I hate the new no lead cast nets!!!! realmad

I would spend the extra and find one with lead weights.
Can't believe the dang environmentalists screwed up cast nets!! The only good thing about the new style, no lead nets are when you are throwing in snaggy waters and need to keep it shallow.

Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10935785 06/23/15 09:16 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I stand corrected I just looked it up on my phone, it was a silver lexus with the yellow hobie on it. Spring/Summer get together was cancelled due to flooding should be one this fall though. I will say this, if you want to get good enough to catch bait regularly it is like anything else, practice pays dividends.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10935811 06/23/15 09:29 PM
reelfisherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I haven't thrown one in years. It would be hilarious to watch I'm sure.

I don't have all the answers, but I'm a quick learner!
http://aluminumboatdocks.com/
Southwestdocks@gmail.com
Re: Cast nets [Re: bert] #10935901 06/23/15 10:08 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: bert
I stand corrected I just looked it up on my phone, it was a silver lexus with the yellow hobie on it. Spring/Summer get together was cancelled due to flooding should be one this fall though. I will say this, if you want to get good enough to catch bait regularly it is like anything else, practice pays dividends.

And you have to know where to look, gotta find it B-4 you can catch it.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Cast nets [Re: pelican] #10936062 06/23/15 11:39 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: pelican
Originally Posted By: bert

And you have to know where to look, gotta find it B-4 you can catch it.

In the transitional seasons it can sometimes take as long to get bait as you fish. Winter months we stick pile bait in the freezer just for these times. As Bert said, " practice pays dividends." Especially from the kayak. I cant throw the darn things from land very well but standing in my kayak feels very natural. You dont need to throw far just get it to open right beside your yak.

Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10936165 06/24/15 12:29 AM
H
Hooky_Looky Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Get a 5'net from academy. It's cheaper than the ones at Wal-mart. Watch a youtube video then practice in your backyard. Pretty easy.

Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10936768 06/24/15 12:11 PM
R
RealBigReel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
There are lots of Youtube videos showing dozens of techniques. But the one I posted above is by far the easiest to learn for throwing a small (5 or 6 foot) net.

RealBigReel
I don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10937059 06/24/15 02:24 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
A couple of tips to make the cheaper nets work better I forgot to mention,

Net parts,

Hand line - ties to your hand
Lead line - line that the lead weights are on
Braille lines - heavy lines that go through the horn to close the net
Horn - circular apparatus that slides up and down the braille lines to close the nets
Swivel - attaches braille lines to the hand line

Do not leave your net in the sun for extended periods, the uv rays from the sun break down the mono and it gets stiff and brittle

Put about 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket and a cup of fabric softener, put your net in and weigh it down with some bricks and let it soak 24 hours. Take it out of the bucket and shake out the moisture and hang it from the horn to dry do not hang it with the lead line off the ground as this will tighten all the knots that will loosen up with use and not let the net keep the broken in feel, this will soften it so it lays out and throws easier. Any time it gets stiff or hard to throw repeat. You can also spray it down with reel magic but that gets expensive, only costs a few cents this way.

After using your net when you get home rinse it with a hose and stretch it out and hang it by the horn to dry do not hang it with the lead line off the ground as this will tighten all the knots that will loosen up with use and not let the net keep the broken in feel, your net is nylon and nylon dry rots when it is exposed to excessive moisture. Letting it dry like this keeps the nylon from developing folded memory and making it harder to throw the first few times until it gets good and wet as well. Your net will last much longer if you care for it in this manner.

Extend the hand line, most hand lines are only 12-16 feet on the cheaper nets and will not let you get deep, get 20 to 30 feet of floating dock line and change it out so you can get a little deeper than 12 feet.

Add weight to make it sink faster, especially if you have enviro conscious plastic coated lead that creates drag. Buy some of the rubber core crimp on weights 1/2, 3/4 or 1 oz and take the rubber out and slice it in half long ways then put it back in so it will grip the lead line, lay out the net in a circle and add weights so that they are on opposite sides of the circle or you will unbalance the net and it will not open properly also position them in the center between existing weights then crimp. Be careful how much you add, we are going to use a cheap net for the example, 3/4 lb per radius foot 6 foot net has about 2 oz. per circumference foot at 37.7 circumference feet so to take it to 1 lb per foot radius you need to take it to 3 oz per circumference foot.

Now if you do the above hand line and lead upgrades you could buy a 50-65$ betts, fitec or ahi mid range net and it will have better mono and components as well as lead weights at 1-1.5 lb per radius foot.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Cast nets [Re: rawfish] #10938512 06/25/15 02:09 AM
R
rawfish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Great tips guys. I went out and bought fabric softener for the first time today. Maybe I'll even use it on my clothes! haha

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide