if they try to make conversation
they are looking for something

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14982268 02/08/24 10:00 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Could be that he's just an avid fisherman that's considering buying a live scope and wanted to know what you thought of it. The folks who are worried about them "looking" for something when they are making conversation are most likely hiding something that they don't want found and, thus, want to cut the conversation as short as possible.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, based on experience.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14982561 02/09/24 02:27 AM
C
Clint H. Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
C
We got cornered by a GW trying to launch at Naconiche. He blocked us while we were backing the boat in. He was oddly friendly for like 30 minutes just chatting it up. Never checked anything. Just had a million questions about the Yamaha SHO this was all at about 6pm in the summer he was killin our evening bite

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14982702 02/09/24 11:20 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
He was passing the time while they were writing the ticket. If you had been legal he would have been gone in hot minute.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14983921 02/10/24 02:45 PM
B
Board Pro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Maybe he "knows" your wife?

"Often imitated, never duplicated"

[Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14989245 02/15/24 01:42 AM
S
sunburnt34 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
spend more times with the netters,,, keeping everything they catch from the bank on Fayette Lake ,, looking for tilapia,,
tearing up all the perch and bass beds,,

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #15004161 03/01/24 01:16 AM
R
Redman71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I've never received a warning from a game warden, and I've had a couple over the years. It's always a ticket.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #15004990 03/02/24 12:19 AM
V
Verne Offline
Angler
Angler
V
Game wardens are just like everyone else. Some are friendly and others are straight forward and actually seem to hate the job. With the exception of one occasion, every warden I've ever dealt with was super nice. The one that wasn't checked us for everything in the boat. I mean EVERYTHING. Stuff I've never had a warden check. I stay pretty current on all the laws and knew we were good. After he'd basically done a total boat inspection, checked our licenses, etc., he seemed to be even more upset that he hadn't found anything. Just before leaving, he said, "I'm going to give u guys a break today, but there's another warden out here that's not so lenient and, if I were u, I'd go ahead and head out." I asked if there was something we were doing wrong and he never even turned around. Just got in his truck and left.

BTW, he actually flagged us down from the bank like a mad man. I'm talking about yelling, and waving his arms frantically like we might not see him even though we were within 20 feet off the bank and idling. We were in a creek off the Sulphur river scouting some public land for deer and were going under a bridge. I don't know. Maybe we were in his honey hole. Either way, it left a bad taste in my mouth and we never went back to White Oak Creek WMA again.

Working to play
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #15005173 03/02/24 03:40 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I'm fortunate in that while stationed at Sheppard AFB, Tx for 4 years, I was never checked for my fishing license. Same thing now in NY - never been checked for either and for good reason: the lakes I fish are way out of the way off backroads; the small river I fish doesn't have a boat launch and I fish way upstream; and the private lake I fish has no public ramp.

Been back in NY for 40 years and have never been checked. Course now I have my lifetime license and don't have to worry about anything except my boat and trailer registration and trailer inspection.

No one in my fish & game club has been checked as far as I know, but recently I just found out about a boat-safety certification all boat owners or drivers with gas or electric motors must have proof of or get a ticket. This supposedly began in Jan. 2020 without warning of any kind. I'd be curious how many got fined or warned and found not to have proof of certification.
The whole thing sounds like B.S. to me and another way for the state to make money. In my mind you either know how to drive a boat safely or you never will. And those that don't give a d.^&*, will still drive like the same a.holes you see all the time driving on roads - safety course or not.

As far as the initial post, I would have asked the warden if I was going to be ticketed - no small talk necessary. If I'm legal, you're wasting my time; if not, get it over with. (BTW, In my opinion, protection should be based on biological surveys to determine a fishery's health. It never happens, so why generalize limits to all waters especially those rarely fished?)

I also found out recently that I was breaking the law by bringing fish from another water to my manmade pond. The law states that no fish will be transported from one water to another - NO EXCEPTIONS. (I stocked the pond 15 years ago via permit and with fishery fish.) The reason for the law: diseased fish from one water will infect fish in another. (How many fish have you caught that ever had any sign of disease? Not me!

If I'm ever asked what I'm going to do with the legal fish in my livewell, no matter how small the pan fish are, I'm going to say. " I'm - not - sure". - We good?!

Last edited by SenkoSam; 03/02/24 04:39 PM.
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: LastCastPodcast] #15005477 03/02/24 04:32 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by LastCastPodcast
If there's two wardens, one of them has the job of distracting you while the other one looks in your coolers. Sometimes the distracting warden is really good at chatting you up, and sometimes they're not. Normally when a cop is chatting you up they're fishing for a "reasonable suspicion" which they can use to escalate the interaction, but wardens already have extensive search and seizure authority so the distracting warden is there mainly to avoid the embarrassment of having to explain to you that you can't do anything to stop them looking in your cooler.

I've never heard of a warden giving a warning, I don't think that happens. There's so few of them to cover so much ground, a warden would give their mom a ticket if the license was a day expired.

You ever see "Escanaba in da Moonlight" where the old man brags that he got every ticket the game wardens have? I think about that scene often. Getting ticketed by the warden is normal. The system is designed that way.

I received a warning on Fork for a 9-7/8" crappie.
He gave me a lesson how to measure a fish. I just listened and kept my mouth shut. I only kept it because it was bleeding. Just a verbal warning. Wife got a warning on Texoma for registration card minutes after launching. It was in the boat but she had no idea where.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #15005492 03/02/24 05:02 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Fond memories fishing Lake Texoma.

Guess it was better for that dying crappe to die of natural causes such as letting it die a slow death rather than make use of it. Of not an issue is keeping bass in a livewell for 5 hours regardless the damage to the slime coat after being mishandled then weighed in in a dry bucket and then released. Guess the state doesn't consider that an issue nor the possibility that a bass virus may be in livewell water kept from another water.
I'm not against tournament fishing (did it for years) but it seems the state's priorities when it comes to protection are a bit misguided and more in line with fines/ tickets than real protection.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 03/02/24 05:03 PM.
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: SenkoSam] #15007297 03/04/24 08:05 PM
B
bluesman Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
Fond memories fishing Lake Texoma.

Guess it was better for that dying crappe to die of natural causes such as letting it die a slow death rather than make use of it. Of not an issue is keeping bass in a livewell for 5 hours regardless the damage to the slime coat after being mishandled then weighed in in a dry bucket and then released. Guess the state doesn't consider that an issue nor the possibility that a bass virus may be in livewell water kept from another water.
I'm not against tournament fishing (did it for years) but it seems the state's priorities when it comes to protection are a bit misguided and more in line with fines/ tickets than real protection.

It's always all about the Benjamin's. The more money they bring in the faster they advance.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: Oldbassguy88] #15007874 03/05/24 12:53 PM
Mike TT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Maybe, just maybe they were doing their jobs.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: SenkoSam] #15007928 03/05/24 01:54 PM
B
BubbaHyde Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
but it seems the state's priorities when it comes to protection are a bit misguided and more in line with fines/ tickets than real protection.

You don't say? grin

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: Clint H.] #15008105 03/05/24 04:20 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Clint H.
We got cornered by a GW trying to launch at Naconiche. He blocked us while we were backing the boat in. He was oddly friendly for like 30 minutes just chatting it up. Never checked anything. Just had a million questions about the Yamaha SHO this was all at about 6pm in the summer he was killin our evening bite

Well I had a good experience with one of the game wardens there last week... cant remember his name but we talked awhile as it was after dark and one of the last ones still loading up, never asked for my license, just asking about the fishing and mentioned he was going to check me on the water but I was so far back up the creek he didnt bother. Told him that was the only place I was getting bit. roflmao I never saw him.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide