Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14976600 02/02/24 10:11 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Ray and I fished together this morning. We started by heading to Waco and fishing the South Bosque. We fished for about an hour in a few different areas that are normally very productive. We didn't get a bite so we headed to The Steps.

We got to the Steps and started fishing about 10 AM. We fished a couple areas just upstream from the Steps and caught about a dozen. We decided to head upstream past the open area where the creek enters. That was a great choice. We started catching fish and the further upstream we went the better the fishing. I caught 7 in a row in one spot.

I ended the day catching 61 white bass. Average size was about 11 inches. Mostly males, with a few small females mixed in.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14976653 02/02/24 11:22 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Sounds like a great day of fishing! Thanks for the report.

Re: The Steps [Re: J-Moe] #14976791 02/03/24 01:41 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by J-Moe
Ray and I fished together this morning. We started by heading to Waco and fishing the South Bosque. We fished for about an hour in a few different areas that are normally very productive. We didn't get a bite so we headed to The Steps.

We got to the Steps and started fishing about 10 AM. We fished a couple areas just upstream from the Steps and caught about a dozen. We decided to head upstream past the open area where the creek enters. That was a great choice. We started catching fish and the further upstream we went the better the fishing. I caught 7 in a row in one spot.

I ended the day catching 61 white bass. Average size was about 11 inches. Mostly males, with a few small females mixed in.

The lake water is so high, I think the water up by 95 bridge has a bunch of fish. The banks up there are difficult though.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14980468 02/07/24 02:19 AM
B
B-Sal Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Oh man what a struggle bus it was today. Most numbers caught that I saw were around 12-16 all caught with minnows either on bottom or under a float. It didn’t matter how you presented them they wanted them. Only had one hard swipe on a grub in the yellow color, no takers on white or chartreuse. No takers on clousers for me today either. But of course local Mr. Robert was having success more than others were. All in all beautiful day water felt ice cold but it was a nice day. Maybe a few more weeks for the lake to warm up and the river shed to drop a little and warm up too would probably set things off real good down there. I keep hearing reports about how one day it’s fire and the next it’s totally slow. Seemed to be the trend today, can’t wait to see what the next few weeks brings but should get real good soon God willing.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14981226 02/07/24 09:17 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Sitting in my truck at the steps. Water looks great. Caught six in an hour. Really slow, one here, one there type thing. A bank anglers stands no chance here, you need waders in order to fish the good holes. Fishing from the bank, you are so limited to where you can fish. I feel like my hands are tied. But a few guys wade fishing with live bait are doing good today. But here again, they have access to the fish. Right now I'm sitting with the heat in my truck seat on high. I might go back down there and catch a few more or I might just go back home. Only one fish I caught was ten inches, the others were bigger.
To be honest, I was going to fish Cedar creek, Nails creek and Yegua. But I had a reminder pop up on my phone that I had an appointment today to get an injection in my lower back, so I had to drive to Roundrock. On my way home I decided to try the steps. A when I got here it wasn't to crowded, but anglers are rolling in one after another, so it's about to get crowded. Lol. Nice fishing weather, enjoyed the six I caught. Not sure I'm sticking around though, just not enough action for this old guy.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14981287 02/07/24 10:53 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Thanks for the reports!

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14981545 02/08/24 02:42 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
So I put this medicine on my back and continued to soak up some heat from my truck seat. I did get out periodically to go chat with anglers returning to their vehicles. My lower back was feeling a little better, so I went upstream to the gravel bar. The bite up there was better than right below the steps. I caught 13 more fish, one was 14 inches. Nice slab for this river, pulled like crazy in the current. But the fish were staged in deeper slow moving water, I couldn't get bit in the shallow water were fish like to feed. Over all, I had a good time. Only reason I went back down there to fish, I'm gonna be tied up for the next four days, possibly longer. But I ended the day with 19 whites.

Now to report what I saw. I saw at least six limits leave the river. How long had those guys been fishing? That I don't know. But I do know those limits were all caught with live bait.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14982200 02/08/24 08:42 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Today I took my wife for a follow up appointment with her doctor and everything is good. Took her to eat and asked if she was up to me stopping at the steps for 30 minutes. She gave the okay so we went. Fished for 30 minutes and caught 4 nice ones. On my way to take her home and probably go back for the afternoon bite. Ill.post later if I decide to go. Just in that short time frame my lower back was giving me a fit. And my breathing was worse. But there's something about catching these fish that has a stronger drive that makes me go no matter what, so I'm about 95% sure I'll return.

Re: The Steps [Re: fishytx] #14982221 02/08/24 09:06 PM
A
Average Joe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by fishytx
Today I took my wife for a follow up appointment with her doctor and everything is good. Took her to eat and asked if she was up to me stopping at the steps for 30 minutes. She gave the okay so we went. Fished for 30 minutes and caught 4 nice ones. On my way to take her home and probably go back for the afternoon bite. Ill.post later if I decide to go. Just in that short time frame my lower back was giving me a fit. And my breathing was worse. But there's something about catching these fish that has a stronger drive that makes me go no matter what, so I'm about 95% sure I'll return.

Great to hear the wife is recovering! Hope you catch more this afternoon!

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14982287 02/08/24 10:13 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Man I self medicated to the max and I still don't feel so great. I've got everything ready for round two, but I'm not sure I'll go. My allergies are all jacked up. But I did a double trip yesterday. Only took about an hour break in my truck and then fished for another three hours. Probably did five hours yesterday. Three hours on my back is pushing it. I never stand up straight when I fish, I'm always bent over a little when working that bait. But the water sure is calling my name.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14982338 02/08/24 10:42 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
The rain is going to make those banks extra slick this weekend. Be safe out there.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14982551 02/09/24 02:15 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Guess I'm a gluten for punishment, because I went back to fish the last two hours of daylight. That place was packed when I got there, I almost turned around and left. The place where I caught four in thirty minutes was flat covered up with anglers. But you know, they always say there's a reason for everything that happens in life. I had to go find a different hole to fish and it turned out for the better. I caught 20 more whites in two hours. I had 19 and I was bound and determined to catch that last fish to make it 20. It was almost dark, but I kept at it till I finally caught that last one. And yes, people kept throwing their lines in the same place I was pulling fish from. It was to the point where a little aggravation was starting to set in from time to time, I'm not gonna lie, but I just ignored it and kept on fishing and catching. For people to crowd me to the point of aggravation it has to be really bad. And it got that way a few times. Guys with bobbers throwing in there and floating it right in my casting area. I kind a find it hilarious though, I'm still hooking up pulling fish in no matter what the situation was and I did not see one person catch a fish out of that hole.
Oh well, one more fun trip under my belt. Caught a total of 24 whites today, added the 4 to my count from when I was there earlier.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14982593 02/09/24 02:57 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Wow, now that I think about my post above I realized something. The hole where I was catching fish left and right out of, there was a angler across the river that was fishing that small hole and I kind a moved in on him in a scene. In fact, I might have crowed him so bad that he finally packed up and left. Or he got tired of watchimg me catch fish and he wasn't. But I have to admit, I did kind a crowd him out. But I was very respectful about it, I always left him more water to fish than what I had. After he left, it did open up 50% more water to fish and I was catching fish right where he was standing. Soon after he left another guy moved right in though. Down there you have to be willing to fish with or around people when it's that crowded, you just have to. Or wear some waders so you can escape the crowd.

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14987028 02/12/24 09:40 PM
A
Average Joe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I have waders and just got some new wading boots, I just don't know how to fish ... roflmao

Re: The Steps [Re: billyfish] #14987043 02/12/24 09:55 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Average Joe, no time like the present to learn. grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide