Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BFL co story from yesterday #15039381 04/07/24 06:06 PM
BrockstaRama Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My co angler told me yesterday that his friend who was a boater had TWO six pounders knocked off by netter issues. That ever happen to anyone else? I'd probably just hand land fish after that. I had the net inside out one time and pancake flipped a bass into the boat for a co once which could have been bad but he got the fish.

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039400 04/07/24 06:31 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Unless I know the person, I can land any fish solo. If I lost any, then it would be my fault and on me 100%.

Also it doesn't open up the chance to turn the experience of a tourney day into a bitter or angry experience.

fish tite lines

#MFGA
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039460 04/07/24 07:30 PM
RCarter Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
If I have my net man screw up he better know to walk on water roflmao

Last edited by RCarter; 04/07/24 08:40 PM.

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039462 04/07/24 07:33 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Co probably tripped over the 45 rods and 4 tackle bags he brought in boat

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: WAWI] #15039505 04/07/24 08:22 PM
BrockstaRama Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by WAWI

Twice?

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039592 04/07/24 09:57 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Dang, it isn’t hard to be a net operator, if I don’t feel like someone is fully quality I operate net on my own.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039605 04/07/24 10:21 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

Twice?

Apparently lol

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039625 04/07/24 10:30 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Just hold the net still and let me lead the fish into it...then lift.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039751 04/08/24 01:18 AM
572Fitter Offline
Angler
Angler
I don’t doubt it,had a few co net boys make me nervous.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039757 04/08/24 01:21 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
If you are depending on a co to net your fish, you suck

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15039762 04/08/24 01:24 AM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
If you are depending on a co to net your fish, you suck

thumb

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: WAWI] #15039764 04/08/24 01:25 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Twice?

Apparently lol

[Linked Image]

Was he dressed like this

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15039926 04/08/24 10:50 AM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Well i guess I suck, we net all fish in my boat. Learned this lesson a few times in my time on the water. Have to give props to my CO this week, because my largest fish wrapped around 2 stumps. The first stump I put the tm on high and went that direction... fish swam off the tree. As I'm brining him in , boat is moving, the fish finds another stump, boat moving away from this stump, he was able to net that fish and save my day.

But I have had a few that try to swipe at the fish. Just takes some verbal coaching to help with that.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15040002 04/08/24 12:45 PM
BrockstaRama Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Net in the water and I bring it in usually works on my boat if we use the net

#Brockstarama
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15040717 04/08/24 10:27 PM
B
B.K.S. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Maybe the boater asked for gas money too early in the day.

B.K.S.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: B.K.S.] #15040727 04/08/24 10:34 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by B.K.S.
Maybe the boater asked for gas money too early in the day.

roflmao

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15041156 04/09/24 07:22 AM
J
JoshT254 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have a boat and 99% of the time I'm alone so I will boat flip a 5lb and not even think about it.

Now I've fished some tournaments as a CO angler and one of the first questions I'll ask is how they want me to net for them. Each boater has their own way and it makes things go smoothly when landing a fish.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15041367 04/09/24 02:34 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
A few years ago, I was fishing as a co at the BASS Open at Toledo Bend. Drew a great dude from up north who was on big fish out deep while everyone was throwing chatterbaits in the shallow grass. Not many bites but the ones out there were huge. His first fish of the day was on a 6xd. They don't have a lot of 10 pounders up north and he was understandably high strung and horsed it in and asked me to land it. I got it in on the first pass. Over 10 pounds. Biggest fish of the event. His next bite was on a football jig and this one was even bigger. Probably pushing 12. He asked me to land it. As soon as I touched it, no nets allowed, it jumped and spit the jig. Horsed in and still had a lot of fight left in it. I don't know if I have ever felt worse in my life. I didn't have a realistic shot to land it but I touched the fish and felt fully responsible. I will never land another persons fish unless it is a team event and we both have equal skin in the game if it gets away, nor will I ask anyone to land my fish.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: LunkerXpress] #15042073 04/10/24 02:52 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by LunkerXpress
A few years ago, I was fishing as a co at the BASS Open at Toledo Bend. Drew a great dude from up north who was on big fish out deep while everyone was throwing chatterbaits in the shallow grass. Not many bites but the ones out there were huge. His first fish of the day was on a 6xd. They don't have a lot of 10 pounders up north and he was understandably high strung and horsed it in and asked me to land it. I got it in on the first pass. Over 10 pounds. Biggest fish of the event. His next bite was on a football jig and this one was even bigger. Probably pushing 12. He asked me to land it. As soon as I touched it, no nets allowed, it jumped and spit the jig. Horsed in and still had a lot of fight left in it. I don't know if I have ever felt worse in my life. I didn't have a realistic shot to land it but I touched the fish and felt fully responsible. I will never land another persons fish unless it is a team event and we both have equal skin in the game if it gets away, nor will I ask anyone to land my fish.

So if you fish an event like BFL that allow nets you make the other guy net his own fish? I had many a boater ask me if I can net fish otherwise they are happy to do it themselves, always told them yes but do whatever your comfortable with, only think I've drawn one guy that netted his own fish and one that didn't even carry a net and hand landed his own fish.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15042271 04/10/24 01:17 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I had a cousin that knew a guy that fished with a co angler that calls two six pounders bs.

Last edited by furim2; 04/10/24 01:17 PM.
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: SC-001] #15042700 04/10/24 07:43 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted by SC-001

So if you fish an event like BFL that allow nets you make the other guy net his own fish? I had many a boater ask me if I can net fish otherwise they are happy to do it themselves, always told them yes but do whatever your comfortable with, only think I've drawn one guy that netted his own fish and one that didn't even carry a net and hand landed his own fish.

After that day, unless I am fishing with Clay Dyer, they can land their own fish. I will never be part of another situation like that where someone can blame me for their lost fish. Just a personal decision.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: LunkerXpress] #15042757 04/10/24 08:32 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W

After that day, unless I am fishing with Clay Dyer, they can land their own fish. I will never be part of another situation like that where someone can blame me for their lost fish. Just a personal decision.

Hopefully you throw in extra gas money on top of normal since you are gonna be of no use the the boater at all.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: WAWI] #15042841 04/10/24 09:54 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Hopefully you throw in extra gas money on top of normal since you are gonna be of no use the the boater at all.

They can share drinks and snacks.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15042970 04/11/24 12:15 AM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
It doesn’t matter. If I’m netting fish, it’s very easy to do alone, I wouldn’t need or want an undependable or not sure if they are dependable stranger doing it for me. Besides, just boat flip them. Anything under 10. smile

Kidding the biggest I’ve flipped was 6.5, and it felt like my rod was just about to snap.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15042976 04/11/24 12:19 AM
H
HookaToad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
When I fish as a co, I always ask the boater if he wants me to net his fish. In the state championship 15 years ago, my boater told me no, he would take care of it. He hooked an 8 pounder that was giving him hell and I asked him again, do you want me to net it, he said yes and I did, he won the event. Three years later in an open, same scenario (not an 8lbr but a solid 4) but this time the fish came off when I tried to net it (no I was not swinging at it like tether ball) and I felt like a huge piece of .... The boater was really gracious about it when I know that it bothered him a lot. As luck would have it, he did well enough that he did not need that fish anyway, but that did not relieve me of how bad I felt.

My point is to have the conversation with the boater, ask him how he wants you to use the net, and then if you did it the way he wanted and the best you can, then it doesn't matter whether the fish gets off or not cause guys, cr**p happens and any experienced boater and co anger both know that truth and have experienced it in one fashion or another.

Having said that, if you don't know how to handle a net or have never done it in a tournament setting, just say so...there is no shame in that and the boater is fully informed and can make the call accordingly.

Good Fishing and God Bless

“I’d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than to be a success at something I hate”

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: WAWI] #15043334 04/11/24 01:09 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L

What a weird flex, but I have a minute to address it for you.

1. I promise when I fish out of the back of the boat I give more than the average co angler for fuel and expenses.
2. I have only co-angled in Opens. I have my own boat and land my own fish like a man should. No nets allowed and I just am not grabbing someone elses fish again.
3. Point out anywhere that says the co anglers obligation is to land the pros fish?
4. It sounds like maybe you can't land your own fish. I know some excellent guides I can point you to if you want some practice....

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15043344 04/11/24 01:17 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
It’s ok to use a net, if it’s allowed…it can be better for the fish smile it won’t take anyone’s man card away. Promise.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15043693 04/11/24 05:02 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Lunker I consider that more of a troll than a flex

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: WAWI] #15043880 04/11/24 08:05 PM
L
LunkerXpress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Lunker I consider that more of a troll than a flex

Wasn't good enough either way to really tell

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15043972 04/11/24 10:32 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
My co angler told me yesterday that his friend who was a boater had TWO six pounders knocked off by netter issues. That ever happen to anyone else? I'd probably just hand land fish after that. I had the net inside out one time and pancake flipped a bass into the boat for a co once which could have been bad but he got the fish.

Mistakes were made that’s fishing

I got all day I’m retired
Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: Razorback] #15043986 04/11/24 10:57 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Razorback
Just hold the net still and let me lead the fish into it...then lift.

+1 Simple as that.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: BrockstaRama] #15043996 04/11/24 11:09 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Literally had my coangler stab the net at my first DD. I lifted the net out of the water with the 6xd tangled in the net and a 10 lber hanging from the outside of the net. Thankfully the crankbait came out of the net and she remained hooked. I explained to him to just submerge the net and lift when I pulled her over the next.

In his case, he just got excited when he saw the size of the fish.

His biggest fish was probably about 3 lbs. Later that year he hung a 7+ and when he got it to the boat, I did the exact same thing he did, but luckily got his fish in the net. I then told him I just did what I always tell you not to do. In my defense, I don't get much practice with a net.

The biggest fish I ever lost was an easy 8+ that I put my hands on 3 times trying to lip. When I decided to use the net is when I drifted into a dock, she wrapped me up and broke me off. Now I rarely reach for the net when fishing solo.

Re: BFL co story from yesterday [Re: sprigsss] #15044000 04/11/24 11:11 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by sprigsss
Literally had my coangler stab the net at my first DD. I lifted the net out of the water with the 6xd tangled in the net and a 10 lber hanging from the outside of the net. Thankfully the crankbait came out of the net and she remained hooked. I explained to him to just submerge the net and lift when I pulled her over the next.

In his case, he just got excited when he saw the size of the fish.

His biggest fish was probably about 3 lbs. Later that year he hung a 7+ and when he got it to the boat, I did the exact same thing he did, but luckily got his fish in the net. I then told him I just did what I always tell you not to do. In my defense, I don't get much practice with a net.

The biggest fish I ever lost was an easy 8+ that I put my hands on 3 times trying to lip. When I decided to use the net is when I drifted into a dock, she wrapped me up and broke me off. Now I rarely reach for the net when fishing solo.

The first tournament I fished with my son he knocked the first fish off and tried to knock the next one off. I boat flipped the rest of day. He is much better now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide