Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dragonfly Pattern #2303408 05/26/08 08:12 PM
builderal Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just got back from Lake Fork and had sooo much fun watching bass blow up on my "store bought" dragonfly that i decided i would learn how to tie one. Problem is that I can't find a decent web link. Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

Alex

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: builderal] #2303444 05/26/08 08:31 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: Bass Bug] #2303994 05/26/08 11:16 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yessir, I would have to just start Googling.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: rrhyne56] #2305198 05/27/08 12:00 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
If you really get desperate and have plenty of time on your hands, use Web Ferret...I use the free version. It gives you tons and tons of hits....some not so close to your original idea, and some not as clean as Google...and that kind of ticks me off. I haven't used the program in a long time. But if they can clean it up, and hit a bit closer...it is awesome. I have found stuff on Web Ferret that Google just doesn't show at all in the past. It is worth a shot, but like I said.,,,,it will give you tons of links to look at.

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

You Dont Love Something You Want to Fundamentally Transform Mark Levin

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: kelkay] #2305334 05/27/08 12:41 PM
builderal Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
thanks guys!

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: builderal] #2344774 06/08/08 02:16 AM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I tie them using closed-cell foam for the body. You can use 2 colors sandwiched together if you want to. Just glue them together before tying on the hook. Cut it to shape and length, and then tie the middel of the body on the back of the hook shank. Wrap thread around the extended tail portion of the body to make segments every 3/16" or so. You can make about 4 tight wraps, and that will sink into the foam to create a segment. When you get to the end of the tail, just go back over the exact same segment wraps to get the thread back to the hook.

Now, tie on some rubber legs or black crystal flash or something for the legs up near the head. Wrap thread back to the back of the shank and begin wrapping segments in the body going toward the head this time. When you get to the thorax, tie in some pearl crystal flash (or whatever you want to use for the wings). You can tie two sets of wings or just one. Fish don't care. You can make a larger bulb of a head with the foam, or just tie it the same as the body and end it. Fish don't care as much as fishermen do. smile You can make black or colored bars across the wings (I prefer that).

This fly is durable, and it will float forever. Like any other dragonfly, it'll twist your leader when false casting. But it's worth it. Big hits on topwater are awesome.

I suggest you catch a dragonfly when you're out and take it home - or take a closeup photo of one. You can look at it while tying to make a good copy of the real thing. There are lots of colors and sizes, so try to match the hatch. White closed cell foam can be colored with Pantone pens pretty effectively.

I came up with the foam pattern a few years ago after watching bass LITERALLY jump out of the water and up onto the bank of a stock tank chasing dragonflies. The bass would flop around until they got back into the water. They were chasing big dragonflies that were black with a bright blue top half of their tail. I glued blue foam to some black foam and added segments, wings and legs. I caught lots of fish the next time I went out there. Fun stuff.

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: WoollyBugger] #2344777 06/08/08 02:19 AM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
BTW...Hello, y'all. I just found this place. Looks like a great hangout for flyfishing addicts. smile

I'm in Abilene. Been flyfishing for 25 years or so. Love to tie flies and build rods, although I haven't done as much of either lately as I used to. Been tying flies all day with my son. He's 11, and I'm taking him to Colorado next month for his first trip to the Rockies flyfishing. We're both pumped.

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: WoollyBugger] #2345232 06/08/08 12:07 PM
builderal Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
thanks wollybuggar,
i went to hobby lobby and bought some craft foam sheets. they have self stick glue and when stuck together make the perfect dfly body.i also found bubble eyes that move - perfect for the head. i found a couple of sheets of prism paper in my wifes xmas paper box - makes the ultimate wing. i have tied a few but the wind has been so bad i havn't been able fish much. i'm fishing at lake fork and getting a little action.

my best bait lately has been my bream imitation.

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: builderal] #2345603 06/08/08 02:55 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I found some foam dragonflies (and other creatures) on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I tie them similar to the foam frogs and cap spiders. I intend to try them this weekend.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: Jerry Hamon] #2346140 06/08/08 06:20 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Welcome WooleyBugger. I think this forum has a great bunch of guys who hang out in here. (I guess I am the only lady) I am new to fly fishing myself, but still do conventional fishing too.

What time of year do the bass hit the dragonfly patterns? I have seen them dead, floating on the lake water surface at a local lake, no fish hit them. (that I saw anyway) I have one dragonfly to my fly arsenal. I did not make it, but plan to after hearing how the fish like them... :-) Hey Wooley you got a pic of the dragonfly pattern you make?

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: kelkay] #2346421 06/08/08 08:08 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Thanks for the welcome, y'all. I went to take a picture of one of my flies and realized I was out. So I tied one and took some pics along the way. Here's how I do it for a Blue Dasher (I think that's what the bug I'm imitating is called)....

Step 1: Start with black thread (for this one) and use a short-shanked fairly wide gap hook. A Tiemco 8089 size 10 here. Cut foam strips to size. Tail only is white (or sometimes light blue) on top. Glue them together. I use flexament. You can probably get by without any glue as you'll see, but I do it anyway. When the glue sticks, tie the foam on the hook.

Step 2: This should really be step 1, but I forgot. smile Tie in 3 strands of rubber legs. Leave them connected to each other for now just to keep them out of the way as much as possible.

Step 3: Wrap thread around the blue thorax to make segments. Even though real dragonflies aren't as segmented as this, the fish don't know the difference. Plus it secures the foam to the hook very well.

Next, work the thread through the segments you created back to the tail. Turn the hook around in the vice and create segments down the tail section. When you get to the end of the tail, work the thread back through the segments back to the hook shank.

Step 4: I tie in an underwing of black crystal flash. You could tie two sets on two adjacent segments if you wish, but two sets of wings will cause even more leader twist than one. I stick with one. Again, I don't think a bass cares.

Step 5: I then tie in pearl crystal flash for the wing. When tying crystal flash wings like this, lay the clump of it across the top of the body and wrap thread over it a couple of times. Then move the thread to the other side of the wing facing you and wrap over the other direction. This creates an "X" of thread over the top of the wing material. That holds it down perpendicular to the hook shank.

Step 6: Tie in another strip of blue foam for the head. Lash it town in front of the wings, and then tie it off at the hook eye. Trim the excess carefully, avoiding the thread with your scissors. Whip finish and cement the thread.

Step 7: Use a good marker to mark the eyes, or tie/glue in some other plastic eye. Don't use a lead eye, of course. You want it to float. laugh

Ready to fish.....

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: WoollyBugger] #2346461 06/08/08 08:23 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Wow, that is an awesome looking fly. Thanks for sharing that, and going to all that trouble. I feel a trip to Hobby Lobby coming up, or Michael's!!

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: kelkay] #2346713 06/08/08 10:03 PM
builderal Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I'VE BEEN GETTING MY BITES IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AROUND TAILS AND PADS.THE TRICK IS TO STRIP VERY SHORT AND QUICK SO IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S STILL ALIVE ON THE WATER.TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THE WINGS ARE VIBRATING. MOST HITS COME WHEN THE BUG HITS THE WATER.

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: builderal] #2346732 06/08/08 10:11 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I like short strips between sitting still too. Another thing that works sometimes when it's windy....strip out 10-20' of line (counting the leader) and let the wind blow the fly, dangling it just above the water. If you can do that in the right spot, it can get pretty dramatic.

Re: Dragonfly Pattern [Re: WoollyBugger] #2347813 06/09/08 10:35 AM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Great tutorial and thanks so much for going to all that bother to create it.

Texas is dragonfly country and we ought to see some good fishing with that one.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide