Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn lake level

Posted By: Farrside

Rayburn lake level - 03/17/24 03:05 AM

Can anyone tell me why Rayburn levels are dropping? I was here 3 weeks ago and levels seemed to be fine for this time of year, but today it was about 5 feet low.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/17/24 09:21 AM

Rayburn is controlled by the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). They typically lower a lake when they expect a large amount of water coming from upstream. This could be the case with all the rain we are having in North Texas. The USACE is moving about 1000 cfs through most of the reservoirs right now. They could also be lowering the lake to do gate inspections or maintenance.
Posted By: Maskedfisherdude

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/17/24 01:00 PM

They are working on the dam. The big storms a few months ago raised the water level and now they are slowly bringing it back down to continue their work.
Posted By: TopwaterTom

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/18/24 02:38 PM

There is a great site to check lakes levels:
https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/statewide
Posted By: Farrside

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/22/24 05:26 AM

Thanks all I found an article back in June saying the lake will be drawn down to 158 ft for up to a year. So I guessing it’s going to be about 6.5 ft low for a while if not lower during the hot months.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/27/24 06:49 PM

Correct, you can watch the work being done as we speak.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Rayburn lake level - 03/31/24 01:35 PM

If that keep that lake low for a year or more and allow stuff to grow in places it hasn't in years, that will supercharge it here in a couple years.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum