Texas Fishing Forum

Trinity River - white bass

Posted By: Rayzor

Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 12:27 AM

Is there ever any white bass spawning on the Trinity River just above I-10 east? All I ever hear about is activity up state.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 02:12 AM

That's salt water
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 03:11 PM

Try below the Lake Livingston dam. The boat launches are iffy depending on the river level.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 03:38 PM

The Hwy 59 Public Boat ramp fish

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz
The Hwy 59 Public Boat ramp fish

That place gives me the hebee jebee's now. That's where they found that little girls body last month.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
Try below the Lake Livingston dam. The boat launches are iffy depending on the river level.

It's been a few years. If they have three or four gates open the whites are usually ganged up there, and you don't need a boat. Wade across the mouth of the service channel at the boat ramp on the west bank, then out toward the river channel thigh deep. You'll be catching whites at your feet. I've had an absolute ball right there many times with my two weight and half weight fly rods on the whites. A regular boat would just be in the way; I always just took a kayak to facilitate moving around and to have a place to set my gear.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Ford
That's salt water

The Trinity locks at I-10 are a saltwater barrier.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 10:55 PM

From what I can see, Livingston is full and letting out a LOT of water. Can anyone tell me if the whites are hitting below the dam? My Wife is driving me nuts.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rayzor
That's salt water

They would be if they kept them shut. But unless something's changed, they don't.

Check with Browder's Marina, they'll know if the whites are up here and their website will show current discharge rates.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/29/24 11:35 PM

That's salt water

They would be if they kept them shut. But unless something's changed, they don't.

Check with Browder's Marina, they'll know if the whites are up here and their website will show current discharge rates.

When there are large releases of water from Livingston, the locks are opened.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 03/31/24 01:32 PM

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitori...0060&period=P7D&showMedian=false

This is the site I use to gauge waterflow below the dam.

White bass fishing down there used to be pretty dang good, but ever since they put in the hydro electric plant, it has really changed. The deep holes are gone and the striper population plummeted.

I suspect the high flow rates may wash a some downstream. If it happens, it won't remain a secret for long.

In it's heyday, you could step from boat to boat and not fall in.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 04/03/24 05:01 PM

The current release at the dam is a 23,500 Cubic feet/ second today. The whites may be schooling this early in the year but May through August have always been my best months as long as the dam release is above 12,000 CFS.

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 04/04/24 12:36 AM

The current release at the dam is a 23,500 Cubic feet/ second today. The whites may be schooling this early in the year but May through August have always been my best months as long as the dam release is above 12,000 CFS.

This is good info! Do you know if the locks at I-10 are open?

Re: Trinity River - white bass - 04/04/24 05:06 PM

This is good info! Do you know if the locks at I-10 are open?

No idea, i have never been down there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum