Texas Fishing Forum

Creede / Lake City this week???

Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/11/18 12:14 AM

Have a chance to hit south central Colorado this week. What are flows and water doing? Still runoff or is water still low?? TIA
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/11/18 12:24 AM

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/current/?type=flow
Posted By: 9094

Re: Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/11/18 06:18 PM

Usually the Lake Fork is almost always too fast in June. even with low snow totals. I stick to Cibolla and North Clear Creek and Big Blue.
Big old orange stimulator and a prince bead head dropper. There should be a few caddis hatches starting to go off.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/12/18 04:10 AM

Dry as a bone on the conejos. Durango fire is a big deal. Call and check around. 9094 gave you the 411 on flies. Conejos was July 4th f shape on Memorial Day.
Posted By: Golfer Jeff

Re: Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/12/18 12:56 PM

Low water all around..... no runoff anywhere south of Gunnison. Durango and Hermosa are on fire (Literally). Upper Rio might be your best bet - it also may be a good time to get down into the Box below 30 mile campground. Flows are low enough already (Late August/September levels). If you are in Lake City, check out Peter at Sportsmans fly shop. Cebolla Creek and upper Lake Fork above San Cristobal have water from what I hear.

If all else fails - find one of the lakes and hit the shorelines. Damselflies and hoppers (already).

Most of the bugs are about a month early on the west side of the Divide. Be glad you are going now and not in August - there might not be enough water by then.

Interesting - the link above shows streamflows for every basin except one.... the Rio Grande. WTF? The whole western side of the state is in Red, which is not good.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Creede / Lake City this week??? - 06/15/18 01:36 PM

Upper Rio is awesome. I did that years ago. I don't think I was publishing to YouTube at the time, but have a crazy video of catching four or five rainbows in a row up there on the meadow. I need to find that video! My ticket to viral! I think I am in the right place!
ACTUALLY FOUND THE VIDEO! It was lost from the post over the years ...
https://texasflycaster.com/colorado-day-3-creede-and-rio-grande-reservoir/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum