Texas Fishing Forum

River boats

Posted By: MemphisBelle

River boats - 07/07/20 03:30 PM

Have any of y’all fly fished from actual boats in really shallow water like in the brazos? I’m talking like Jon boats, bay boats, etc
Posted By: I FISH 4

Re: River boats - 07/07/20 04:47 PM

[Linked Image]

We have two fish Cat R10 stand up that we take on out trips they are about 90lbs
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: River boats - 07/07/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by I FISH 4
[Linked Image]

We have two fish Cat R10 stand up that we take on out trips they are about 90lbs

Nice Rigs. coolio
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: River boats - 07/08/20 12:56 PM

I fly fish out of my 14’ Jon boat all the time. I can stay seated or stand up. You can float or run it up on the bank. I use a trolling motor for power and always carry a paddle for pushing if needed. Rivers always have potential risks from flow so make sure to watch release flows. I catch bass, catfish, carp, buffalo, gar, sunfish, etc. Having a carp or big gar tow you around on a fly rod is really fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: River boats - 07/09/20 05:39 PM

Here is a picture of my boat. Pretty simple set-up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: River boats - 07/10/20 01:00 PM

Those fish cats look really nice and stable.
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: River boats - 08/16/20 06:00 PM

I do. Fish the Brazos primarily. I run a 1652 modified V with a tunnel hull and 50/35 outboard jet. I can run anywhere there's 2' of water.
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: River boats - 08/21/20 07:43 PM

I fish out of a fourteen foot flat bottom jon boat as well. I have never taken it to the Brazos specifically but i have had it below the Denison Dam at Lake Texoma which, i figure, is just about the same thing. What you want to look for in a jon boat is width. Mine is 52" at the floor and is plenty stable enough to stand on a poling platform on the rear while having a guy stand on a casting platform and sight cast to fish up foward. It will also get you into some very shallow water either with a trolling motor or by poling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum