Texas Fishing Forum

G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX

Posted By: johnnlucky

G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/04/11 12:54 AM

G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX
price and ???
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/04/11 01:44 AM

biggest difference $$$$$$$$$. Different blanks is all I know.
Posted By: KsChampion198

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/04/11 11:47 AM

The GL2 is their entry level rod. The new NRX is their cream of the crop. The difference is quality of components and the weight/strength/sensitivity of the blanks. I have several IMX/GLX and NRX rods. For the money IMO, the IMX rods are tough to beat....
Posted By: johnnlucky

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/04/11 07:34 PM

Thank you,
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/05/11 05:40 AM

Between the GLX and NRX? The split grip + guides for weight reduction. Between the other series? The amount modulus blank used to make the rod. Thus the more expensive you are willing to go, the more sensitive you are willing to recieve.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 02:04 AM

Each level has a higher modulus that is more sensitive and a faster tip(flex).

GL2 IM6
GL3 IM7
IMX IM8
GLX IM10

GLX's a lot of them exploded when they first came out. Don't know if they have gotten that fixed or not. I have a few IMX's
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 12:07 PM

interesting interview with Joe Poe, global brand manager with G loomis and talks about the rods
http://tackletour.com/reviewinterviewjustinnrx.html
Posted By: duke13372

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 05:26 PM

It's been awhile since I bought a Loomis but the IMX/ GLX models if I'm not mistaken had a carbon Scrim. The IMX is truly a great rod and if I'm voting is in the "Rod Hall of Fame". Ha! Ha! The MBR 844 is a killer Jig/plastics rod. The MBR 843 was generaly considered a versatile rod for spinnerbaits, jigs/plastics, and other presentations. I have a 782 that is an extremely fine rod for smaller offerings. When Loomis designed the IMX he hit pay dirt. The GL3 is nothing to scoff at but the IMX was definitely the crown jewel. Others loved the GLX but many considered it too brittle.

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Red 12
Each level has a higher modulus that is more sensitive and a faster tip(flex).

GL2 IM6
GL3 IM7
IMX IM8
GLX IM10

GLX's a lot of them exploded when they first came out. Don't know if they have gotten that fixed or not. I have a few IMX's

Question to go a little deeper into this topic? A IM6 & 7 are pretty cheap blanks, why are they so much $$$ in the Loomis series? It seems like you can buy a very good rod in IM 8 & 10 and still be cheaper than the Loomis rods, is a person paying for the name or are they really better. A example is the Shimano Cumara is a IM 10 and it's $225.00 but the same rod in Loomis is over $350 (if I remember correctly).
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 07:16 PM

way more to rod manufacturing than the highest modulus/tonnage rating of the highest modulus graphite used...

also "IM" ratings are not standardized.

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiegolfer
way more to rod manufacturing than the highest modulus/tonnage rating of the highest modulus graphite used...

Ahh, so what one builder might call a 10 might be like a 7 or 8 to another builder. I'm sure the Loomis rods are the best quality I was just wondering if the name adds $$$ to it.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 09:13 PM

I have some GL3 fly rods.Its amazing the feel of these rods.You can feel the fish hit even with loose line.Youd have to use one to believe it.I have not gone up to a GLX,but very satisfied with the GL3 rods.
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/07/11 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: aggiegolfer

Ahh, so what one builder might call a 10 might be like a 7 or 8 to another builder. I'm sure the Loomis rods are the best quality I was just wondering if the name adds $$$ to it.

Yes, it is more expensive just because it says Loomis on it. Same with Megabass. They don't produce as many rods as the bigger companies (All Star, W&M, E21, etc). Are they worth the money? Maybe.
Posted By: aggiegolfer

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 04/08/11 03:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is more expensive just because it says Loomis on it. Same with Megabass.

Posted By: DallasTxImpalaSS

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 05/04/11 09:15 PM

$350, good lord that's a lot of money. I never bought a rod over $50. This may be a crazy question. But to those of you that have, is the quality and function that much better? It has really got to be a great rod to me to fork over that kind of cash. I mainly catfish or crappir fish by the way.
Posted By: AJ Perez

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 05/05/11 01:59 AM

I use and have built a lot of rods on G. Loomis blanks. And I have bought complete rods as well. And they are great rods such as the IMX and the GLX rods. And I have some older GL3's as well.

But the rods I really like are the Daiwa Steez rods. I bought a Daiwa Steez Fle-X-Lite rod in the 651 and the 701 and paired them with Steez reels.

And oh my they are absolutely great !! I prefer the Daiwa Steez rods to the GLX by Loomis due to my cousin convincing me to try them. They are both great rods but my cousin convinced me to try the Steez rods out and I love them.

They ran about $445 each for the rods plus tax but very worth it. They feel like a fiberglass rod but are made of graphite and super sensitive and light. And I paired them with the Daiwa Steez reels and they make an excellent combo.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: G loomis rod, what is the difference GLX, GL2, GL3, IMX - 05/05/11 05:38 AM

About $250. The Less They Weigh:The More You Pay.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum