Texas Fishing Forum

Cypress Springs any good?

Posted By: Ibock

Cypress Springs any good? - 03/24/24 04:02 AM

My father is law is under contract at a lake house on Cypress Springs. Does the Lake have good bass fishing?
Posted By: Harleydude

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/24/24 04:16 AM

Fun small lake to fish until the pleasure boaters come out. Lots of spotted bass and crappie. My family had a place in Panther Creek for 10 years.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/24/24 01:17 PM

Once it gets warm enough for jet skis and water skiers it’s like fishing in a washing machine .

There’s lots of fish in the lake .
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/24/24 02:05 PM

It is a fun lake to fish and there's plenty of coves to get away from the recreation traffic.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/24/24 02:11 PM

I will say yes it has good fish in it. I have caught up to 23lb tourney sacks out of it. Springtime is a fun time to fish it and not too hard to find some fish to bite.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J
I will say yes it has good fish in it. I have caught up to 23lb tourney sacks out of it. Springtime is a fun time to fish it and not too hard to find some fish to bite.

Dougy J, I live 3 miles from cypress springs and have fished it for 30 years. If you can come over and catch 23 lbs I'll buy you lunch, beer and gas money. PM me. That lake was ruined from bass fishing years ago.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJB

Dougy J, I live 3 miles from cypress springs and have fished it for 30 years. If you can come over and catch 23 lbs I'll buy you lunch, beer and gas money. PM me. That lake was ruined from bass fishing years ago.

Think maybe the spraying of grass and addition of grass carp had a little more to do with it that them mean old bass fishermen?
And 20lb sacks aren't that uncommon.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 09:58 PM

I won a tournament on it back in the 90's and caught nothing but largemouth. I had a 5 fish stringer of 3 and 4 pounders. I caught them off laydowns in the northwest arm of the lake, but it is/was loaded with spots. A buddy of mine used to fish there regularly and he says the boat houses are good for spots, just got to be able to get up under them with something.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by DJB

Think maybe the spraying of grass and addition of grass carp had a little more to do with it that them mean old bass fishermen?

20 lbs sacks today? I'll extend my offer to you and Doug.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJB
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by DJB

20 lbs sacks today? I'll extend my offer to you and Doug.

I agree. When it was full of grass 23 was easy. Now I am happy with 13-15. Still a fun lake though

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 11:28 PM

The lake authorities and landowners don't give a flip about fishing. No fisherman or grass in the way of their jet skis or wake boats. Doug, I'll. Make the same offer if you can catch 23 lbs in 2 days.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/28/24 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by DJB

Here ya go, it was Ray Hubbard Bass Club Oct 2012

sorry only pic I could find

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by DJB
The lake authorities and landowners don't give a flip about fishing. No fisherman or grass in the way of their jet skis or wake boats. Doug, I'll. Make the same offer if you can catch 23 lbs in 2 days.

Just because you cannot catch good sacks since the grass is gone, doesn't mean others can't get lucky. At that time that was the biggest sack that had been caught at Cypress in a couple years. The guy leaning on the boat behind us has caught a lot of big fish and stringers there duting and after the grass. He was one of the best out there for a long time.

Oh and I have been fishing the lake since I was around 10, so 45 years.

So to say it has not been done is straight bs

As for your challenge. I sold my boat and do not fish serious anymore. But I know some guys that may take you up if you made it a few dollars. 23lbs in 2 days should be simple.

Oh and if I drive down there to fish, I am going next door to fish.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by DJB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Proving my point Doug. That was 12 years ago.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 12:49 AM

And you said getting lucky.
Posted By: eparker

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 02:11 AM

Douglas

That guy behind you leaning against the boat looks like a younger RC. He lives not far from me and he has showed me a few things on Cypress Springs that is for sure.

Eugene

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJB
And you said getting lucky.

satire, I used to hold my own in tourney fishing.

You said since the grass was gone, the grass was eradicated completely by 2012.

That was one of the better days as far as numbers of keepers. We caught so many 2-3 pounders we could not keep count. Killed them up on the west end in the pad fields on a hollow belly swimbait and frog. Then we hit brush piles and tire reefs. Are there even pads on the upper end of the lake anymore?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 05:44 AM

Here are results from September of last year. Not 23, but damn close to 22. Lake still has some good ones in it

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 02:29 PM

I have a lake house there and almost never fish it. lol. I go to Sandlin or Fork or Welsh or Pines!!
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 02:52 PM

Sure was a great night fishing lake back in the day along with Sandlin.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJB

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I remember Tommy Climer used to be quite a stick out that way back in the day. Fished and played flag football with Vince Burt way back in the day. A little blast from The past on that list for me.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 03:24 PM

Go to the link for Media bass. Someone caught 20 lbs in February. When I ran that Media division those guys knew Cypress Creek and could catch some good sacks. https://mediabass.com/2k24/TX/NORTHEAST/2.shtml

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 03:50 PM

The first individual T I ever fished was on Cypress and it took well over 20 to win. That was over two decades ago though. The cove the guy won it from was full of timber which has since been cleared and they built houses in there.

The main issue with Cypress is once it warms up the pleasure boats and jet skis keep that lake stirred up. The retaining wall around the lake just sends the wakes right back out so you got some pretty nasty and sometimes big non directional chop everywhere. Makes bass boat riding not much fun and it is hard to fish main lake stuff with that going on.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 08:22 PM

That manning dude always catches all the fish.that lake has giving out some good times
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 09:42 PM

Capp and I caught a 22 pound sack last fall. https://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com/...ed-with-21-81-pounds-on-cypress-springs/

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by eparker
Douglas

That guy behind you leaning against the boat looks like a younger RC. He lives not far from me and he has showed me a few things on Cypress Springs that is for sure.

Eugene

That is Rick. He is my stepdad. smile He taught me a LOT about jig fishing.
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/29/24 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the feed back.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie

There are no 20+ pound sacks left
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 03:43 AM

roflmao

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom

roflmao

the guy with 30 years experience and lives 3 miles from the lake said so

noidea

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 03:31 PM

My offer to you still stands Dougy.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 03:37 PM

And you can bring board pro,rescue fire and whatever else names you go by on here.
Posted By: Rescue Fire

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 07:14 PM

I might just go down there and dominate that lake like all the other lakes I fish.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Fire
I might just go down there and dominate that lake like all the other lakes I fish.

Can I tag along?

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 07:21 PM

I don’t think so, bro! That would be entirely too much awesomeness in one vessel.

Besides, last time we fished with each other, you pushed me into some February water and I still haven’t forgiven you.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TBassYates

My bass club used to fish a night tournament on Cypress every year. When there was hydrilla it was a fantastic lake. Fishing went way downhill and we haven't been back for years.

We fished at night for three reasons... because the lake was wide open and easy to navigate at night, because fishing was really good, and because we could get away from the horrific pleasure boat traffic during the day.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 08:03 PM

I don’t think so, bro! That would be entirely too much awesomeness in one vessel.

Besides, last time we fished with each other, you pushed me into some February water and I still haven’t forgiven you.

At Fork??

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 08:21 PM

That was some cold water!

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 09:36 PM

That was some cold water!

But, you did get your rod and reel

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback

My bass club used to fish a night tournament on Cypress every year. When there was hydrilla it was a fantastic lake. Fishing went way downhill and we haven't been back for years.

We fished at night for three reasons... because the lake was wide open and easy to navigate at night, because fishing was really good, and because we could get away from the horrific pleasure boat traffic during the day.

Apparently you and me don't have a clue. If I can get dougy board pro to come down I'll pm you. He'll show us how to pop 23 lbs.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJB

Apparently you and me don't have a clue. If I can get dougy board pro to come down I'll pm you. He'll show us how to pop 23 lbs.

I have done it since the grass is gone and my old partner has done it several times. LOL.

Sorry you cannot and good luck trying, catching 20 pounds in a tourney day is not hard.

If you want I can PM you details on how it feels to be able to catch a good sack of fish, it's really not that big of a deal.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/30/24 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJB

I have done it since the grass is gone and my old partner has done it several times. LOL.

Sorry you cannot and good luck trying, catching 20 pounds in a tourney day is not hard.

If you want I can PM you details on how it feels to be able to catch a good sack of fish, it's really not that big of a deal.

Well it's the internet. You can claim anything. But my offer stands.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/31/24 12:05 AM

But no need for pms ,let us all know how you caught 23 lbs 12 years ago. You said you got lucky. Maybe your boat you sold had a Flux capisatator on it. And yes I've caught plenty of 20+ stringers. But I'm done with you. Dougy pro.

Re: Cypress Springs any good? - 03/31/24 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ibock
My father is law is under contract at a lake house on Cypress Springs. Does the Lake have good bass fishing?

Let me know when you are going out there, and if I am off work I will meet you there and show you around in my boat. We might even catch a good sack of bass!

look at this 12.02# bass caught out of Cypress in 2022!! biggest I have heard of in that lake in 20 years!

https://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com/...w-rhbc-record-big-bass-with-12-02-giant/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum