Texas Fishing Forum

Pond Management Services Request

Posted By: mcallister

Pond Management Services Request - 11/25/23 11:13 PM

I inherited a property from my mom, and it is located in Grimes County, address is 3445 CR 152, Bedias, TX. Property is 23 acres and near the "bottom" of the property is a pond. It has been forever since I visited the property and this pond has water in it, no idea if there is any fish. I walked it yesterday for the first time in 40 plus years. Pond feels very shallow... does have some minnows or tadpoles, so I saw life. No idea if there is any fish.

I am providing pics for anyones feedback but I would like recommendations on someone whom could come out and assess this pond. End game possibly for me is a pond that I could stock and enjoy for next 10 years. I am not sold on holding this property super long term but it has been appreciating in value in recent years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 11/25/23 11:19 PM

Also does anyone know an easy way for me to determine how large the pond is?
Posted By: DaveDavidson

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 11/26/23 12:25 PM

Only generally. An acre is 43,560 sq ft or approximately the playing surface of a football field. I do a guesstimate from that.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 11/28/23 05:33 PM

70 yds x 70yds is approx 1 acre.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 11/30/23 02:46 PM

Like a lot of ponds in Texas it appears to be at least two feet low on water. Same here. You can learn a great deal about what is in it by simply fishing it and then assessing the status of what you catch. Relative weights are a great tool for making assessments.

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/01/23 03:05 AM

Appreciate the feedback from everyone. Here is where my head is at based on the feedback...

1) Pond is close to 1 acre but not quite (I still need to measure but based on feedback feels like slightly less than 1 acre)
2) I need to just fish it... I will. I plan to throw a frog over those pads and pray some bass hit it.
3) Might throw a cast net to see if I find any fish.
4) Might find some electronics tools I have seen on FB and see what they say OR just throw a live bait with bobber and measure depth.
5) This pond is easily 40 plus years old as I know my dad owned the property that long if not longer.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/01/23 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mcallister
Appreciate the feedback from everyone. Here is where my head is at based on the feedback...

1) Pond is close to 1 acre but not quite (I still need to measure but based on feedback feels like slightly less than 1 acre)
2) I need to just fish it... I will. I plan to throw a frog over those pads and pray some bass hit it.
3) Might throw a cast net to see if I find any fish.
4) Might find some electronics tools I have seen on FB and see what they say OR just throw a live bait with bobber and measure depth.
5) This pond is easily 40 plus years old as I know my dad owned the property that long if not longer.

You mentioned throwing a cast net. may I add something that se hVe doyT my pond-
Throw a couple handfuls of cattle cubes out and let them dissolve 5-10 minutes, then throw et over the cubes-
Repeat this 4-5 spots-
The cubes should attract many different fish but also should attract larger predators trying to feed on the smaller fish-
We have done this and had success-
Good luck-
Posted By: salex

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/11/23 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by mcallister
Also does anyone know an easy way for me to determine how large the pond is?

Google Earth (free) has a measuring tool that is easy to understand and use.

* Download Google Earth Pro.
* Locate your pond on the map
* In the upper left corner choose the Icon that looks like a ruler.
* Choose "Polygon"
* Choose "Acres" in the area section.
* Use your mouse to click around your pond.

EASY.
Posted By: DaveDavidson

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/14/23 01:16 AM

TAMU is in that area. Call the Fisheries Science (or whatever they call it) Professors and ask for their advice. Perhaps a graduating student or 2 that would like some real world experience.

As recommended, fish it and keep records.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/18/23 01:43 AM

Lots of good info here and I have done some lake management in the past with great success.

Feel free to call me anytime if you have any questions that are not answered here.

I would take a guess you probably have some fish cause they can get in there in many ways.

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 12/23/23 01:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Too much going on in prep for Holiday's but in early 2024 plan to grab rod and/or cast net to start gathering intel. Mark, thanks as well for the offer. I may call you in the future.
Posted By: slopez

Re: Pond Management Services Request - 01/21/24 08:59 PM

Lochow Ranch is in Bryan. Give them a try.
Lochowranch.com

https://lochowranch.com/pond-contractor-texas-louisiana-oklahoma-arkansas

About Lochow Ranch - Lochow Ranch Pond & Lake Management
The Pond Contractor of Choice. For more than 20 years, Lochow Ranch has been the pond contractor of choice for building and maintaining private ponds and lakes ...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum