Texas Fishing Forum

Intro to fly fishing school

Posted By: HapaFlyGirl

Intro to fly fishing school - 08/04/19 05:07 PM

Hi!

I just joined the forum and just bought my first fly rod the other week. I’ve taken one individual class but would like to do an intensive fly fishing school. Has anyone attended a women’s fly fishing school, or one of the Orvis schools? Any recommendations?
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Intro to fly fishing school - 10/01/19 08:22 PM

I have not. But as a beginner myself I would be interested. I have found several very good videos just on You Tube which do a very good job at teaching...but its not the same as hands on for sure.
Posted By: ordinary_angler

Re: Intro to fly fishing school - 12/11/19 08:47 PM

I noticed that Tarrant County College has a class, an actual college credit, but it is fly fishing and it meets in the evening. I cannot remember what days but I think the spring semester starts in January. It probably would be so fun, I wish the time worked for me. Keira Quam with the Texas Parks and Wildlife would be a good resource, she does a lot of fly fishing. You might want to friend her on Facebook, she is fantastic.
Posted By: Cheryl B

Re: Intro to fly fishing school - 01/06/20 09:23 PM

A good group to work with are the Dallas Fly Fishers. They can direct you to folks or places for lessons and they even offer fly tying classes if that is of interest to you. I think there is also a group in Fort Worth.
Posted By: ReelOldGeezer

Re: Intro to fly fishing school - 04/27/23 05:32 AM

Can't help with the schools, but I found the Orvis videos by Peter Kutzer and the Mad River Outfitter videos by Brian Flechsig to be very helpful. Brian not only has 'how to' casting videos, but plenty of other videos covering many aspects of fly fishing.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Intro to fly fishing school - 01/19/24 01:12 PM

All I know is that as a bass fisherman, my wife kicks my arse every time we go fly fishing...she does not have all my bad bait casting habits! LOL.

Keep it very simple...no doubt time on the water is what makes the biggest difference.

Lots of good youtube videos out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum