Texas Fishing Forum

Medina Lake

Posted By: GMTK

Medina Lake - 03/04/24 03:23 PM

Drove out to check it out. Still some water and can get a kayak in. Anyone been out there lately?
Posted By: Strugglebus

Re: Medina Lake - 04/23/24 04:31 PM

Is there any place to launch a flat bottom jon boat?
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Medina Lake - 04/23/24 06:32 PM

I have a buddy that fishes it regularly with his yak. He doesn't make any memorable catches but does land a lot of dinks.

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 12:52 PM

Fished it yesterday, 4.28.24. Air temp 83. Blue bird skies. Wind from the South at 3-5mph.

Launched at 3pm from Red's ($20). Fished the east bluff wall going north and broke off a solid 4-5 lber at the boat (drag was too tight) on a weightless senko. Lost one an hour later on a drop shot. Caught one 12" on a drop shot. Then crickets. Threw the entire box at them. Crossed the lake and fished south on the westside and not a sniff. Pulled off at 6:30pm. Saw 3 other kayaks. Two guys I spoke with each caught one fish on a Tx rig lizard.

Water temp on east side was 80; west side was 85. Didn't see a lot of bait. Saw one cove with some fry. Water was nasty, only 6" visibility. It did pour Sunday morning so I'm guessing that led to poor water quality. Weird thing is I never saw any bait and it was just carp and gar spawning in the shallows. The amount of trees was insane. Was like fishing in a forest. Made Fork look like a barren wasteland. Deepest water I found was 33' deep. Never saw any bait on the graph. Also got hung about about 30 million times. TONS of trees and trash in the lake. Really disappointed in the amount of rope and trash that is showing on the lake. I tried to cut and take some to trash but it would have consumed my whole trip. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you launch at Red's, it's a mess and insanely steep.

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 12:58 PM

Maybe from Reds. But getting it out will suck. I would bring a tow strap and then just pull it up with the truck until you can get it in. If it's on a trailer - not happening.
Posted By: TXanalogkd

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 01:30 PM

20$ to launch?? That is pricey. I would think all that tree cover would hold fish. Hopefully mother nature will fill those west TX reservoir's. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 01:33 PM

I don't know of another place on the lake to launch, unless you know someone that lives on and it and has a way to get your kayak to the water. I flipped 100 trees with a tx rig, and a wacky, and a spinner bait, and top water, and a chatter bait. Nothing.

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 04:24 PM

I was thinking about trying it in a jon boat this weekend, glad i didnt...
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 05:36 PM

Poor Ol' Medina.......had some memorable times there
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Medina Lake - 04/29/24 09:46 PM

Sad. Sad. Sad. IslandJim
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Medina Lake - 04/30/24 01:42 PM

coolphotos Nice report.. thumb
Posted By: medinaD

Re: Medina Lake - 05/28/24 04:27 PM

Does anyone know if Red Cove Marina (or any other place) is open for kayak launch?

Re: Medina Lake - 05/30/24 05:00 PM

Red is still open last i heard, but you can only get a kayak in.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Medina Lake - 05/31/24 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RCarter
Poor Ol' Medina.......had some memorable times there

Use to fish the Friday nighter in the early 2000's, good times.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum