Texas Fishing Forum

juglines from a kayak

Posted By: CopanoCruisin

juglines from a kayak - 02/14/07 12:54 AM

Hey guys, I have a trip planned to Choke Canyon in mid March. A buddy wants to run jug lines from the yak. Question is, how do you deal with the catfish fins or where do you put the fish?
Thanks for the info and have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: juglines from a kayak - 02/14/07 02:18 AM

be careful when you pull a big 1 up & into ride.
have your gear lashed
then put them on stringer
Posted By: reelfisherman

Re: juglines from a kayak - 02/15/07 01:24 AM

I would say, carefully.
Posted By: ShotMagnet

Re: juglines from a kayak - 02/19/07 10:42 PM

if you really want to you can snip the fins off. kind of cruel but if you really want to jug from a yak this is the way to do it.

There are 3 things I dont want to share my yak with an angry Catfish, shark or gar
Posted By: gober

Re: juglines from a kayak - 02/20/07 06:02 PM

When running jugs in my yak I typically pull there head up out the water and clip them on the stringer then take the hook out. I usually don’t let them come aboard. Do however keep your gear secure, I lost my favorite folding fillet knife last time I was running jugs in my yak. Jug lines are definitely doable with your yak. A lot of times I run them by myself in a 13 foot yak.

gober
Posted By: gober

Re: juglines from a kayak - 04/04/07 09:13 PM

I was out at Lake LBJ this past weekend. I ran two juglines and two trotlines by myself. Put them in at noon, about 6 pm I paddled back to check my first jug line. The jug wasnt were I left it, but I quickly found it! There was a pontoon boat in the area and they asked if that was my jug. They said that it kept getting pulled all the way under. Man I was chomping at the bit to pull it. When I got to the first fish it was a 4 pound channel cat. The third hook had a 4 pound flat. Two out of 4 hooks and I had almost 8 pounds of fish! It was awesome. They were worried that I was going to fall over. The next morning I was checking my trotlines. The jugs were no longer appart they were right next to each other. I went to pull up the jugs and the fish had actually moved the rocks rolled the lines into a big ball. That line had a 5 pound channel and a 3 pound flat and a smaller channel. I had a great time. Next time I'll use bigger rocks.

~gober
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum