Texas Fishing Forum

Solar power in Texas = bad idea

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 01:15 PM

A severe Texan hail storm damaged thousands of solar panels at a Fort Bend County farm causing neighbors to fear potential chemical leakage from the panels, ABC 13 reported.

The freak and severe hail storm hit the farm and its environs on March 16, causing massive property damage throughout the affected area, the outlet reported.

“The hailstorm we experienced Saturday morning was unimaginable,” Nick Kaminski, a Ford Bend County resident, told the outlet. “We’ve never seen anything like it in our lifetime.” Kaminski’s own house suffered damage from the wind, causing the roof to come off, which was followed by hail, ABC 13 reported.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/03/26/hail-storm-destroys-thousands-of-solar-panels-in-texas/
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 01:17 PM

I wondered the same with residential installations of solar panels. Some say they are "impact resistant". Maybe so for dime and pea size hail, but bigger hail could do some damage.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 01:31 PM

Estimating Hail Size
Hail size is often estimated by comparing it to a known object. Most hailstorms are made up of a mix of different sizes, and only the very largest hail stones pose serious risk to people caught in the open. When reporting hail, estimates comparing the hail to a known object with definite size are good, but measurements using a ruler, calipers, or a tape measure are best.
Pea = 1/4 inch diameter
Mothball = 1/2 inch diameter
Penny = 3/4 inch diameter
Nickel = 7/8 inch
Quarter = 1 inch — hail quarter size or larger is considered severe
Ping-Pong Ball = 1 1/2 inch
Golf Ball = 1 3/4 inches
Tennis Ball = 2 1/2 inches
Baseball = 2 3/4 inches
Tea cup = 3 inches
Softball = 4 inches
Grapefruit = 4 1/2 inches

How fast does hail fall?
This is a very complicated answer. The fall speed of hail primarily depends on the size of the hailstone, the friction between the hailstone and surrounding air, the local wind conditions (both horizontal and vertical), and the degree of melting of the hailstone. Early research assumed that hailstones fell like solid ice spheres and showed very high fall speeds, even for very small hailstones. However, recent research outside of NSSL using 3-D printed casts of real hailstones suspended in a vertical wind tunnel has repeatedly shown that natural hailstones fall more slowly than solid ice spheres. For small hailstones (<1-inch in diameter), the expected fall speed is between 9 and 25 mph. For hailstones that one would typically see in a severe thunderstorm (1-inch to 1.75-inch in diameter), the expected fall speed is between 25 and 40 mph. In the strongest supercells that produce some of the largest hail one might expect to see (2-inches to 4-inches in diameter), the expected fall speed is between 44 and 72 mph. However, there is much uncertainty in these estimates due to variability in the hailstone’s shape, degree of melting, fall orientation, and the environmental conditions. However, it is possible for very large hailstones (diameters exceeding 4-inches) to fall at over 100 mph.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/hail/

weather geek 101
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 01:32 PM

That looks expensive
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 01:33 PM

It is a once in a lifetime storm to cause this
If it’s real
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 02:42 PM

Most of them say up to around 2" hail I think. I've never seen 2" hail in my lifetime.

Certainly it's possible to have hail larger than that. But that doesn't mean solar panels shouldn't be used in Texas
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:02 PM

wow, an amazing amount of land covered up with those solar panels

I personally have never seen 2" hail either but have seen pics from others
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:09 PM

Hail is pretty rare in this part of the country as in FB County.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHummert
wow, an amazing amount of land covered up with those solar panels

I personally have never seen 2" hail either but have seen pics from others

The area south of Pecan Plantation is about to have 5k acres covered in panels. Nice Brazos riverfront property ruined for miles. Throw in some obnoxious bitcoin mining bldgs and it sets the future of that area. What a shame.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:14 PM

I saw back a number years ago in northern wyoming we got a big hail storm and it was like baseball to softball size it was going through moon roofs in cars some went clean through roof on house into the houses themselves. 'i got in on lower in of it came with in 5,000 of totaling out a brand GMC Denali pickup.

Got into Chevy dealer next morning at 9:30 I was three months out getting fixed because of so many vehicles already in line in front of me

I never saw anything close the other 19 years living there they said once in a lifetime storm. but boy did it do the damage. I foget how many hail damage people showed up and stayed like three months fixing cars for cash. Dentless repair. I was surprised it sure worked to.

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07
Most of them say up to around 2" hail I think. I've never seen 2" hail in my lifetime.

Certainly it's possible to have hail larger than that. But that doesn't mean solar panels shouldn't be used in Texas

we've had it here on several occasions.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:18 PM

Some hail is softer than other hail. Some is almost slushy and when some of the hard stuff hits the tin roof here I'll yell out "What the hail?"
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:40 PM

Panels do pretty well in hail, I think. We have had some make it through hail that was a little bigger than golf ball size and they did okay without any damage.

I imagine if you have hail going through your roof, then your panels would be toast, too.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by patriot07

I have seen softball size hail while at college in Big Spring. It flattened the roof of cars.

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 03:46 PM

Anyone remember the Mayfest storm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Mayfest_Storm
Posted By: Flippy

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
If it’s real

It is real I live in the area and have friends whose homes were severely damaged by the hail. 160K in damages to one house. Never say it is a once in a life time storm. Fort Bend County had two once in a life time floods in a matter of 16 months. I was standing on the levee that protects our neighborhood looking at the homes outside of the levee system in 2016 thinking I would never see that again. Sept 2017 the flood was even worse.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 05:46 PM

weirdest I ever saw was when a single hail stone about the size of my fist came thru the skylight in my semi sleeper. I was just outside 1604 on the west side of san antonio. dam near wrecked since it was raining heavy and I was bobtailing back to our terminal. people under the bridges and running 10 with flashers about drove me nuts that day.

never saw another pc of hail that whole storm.

a storm can have mostly dime sized but still spit out some biguns, have seen it multiple times. happened out here last bad hail storm, mostly pea sized but had some up to golf ball sized mixed in.

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

Mayfest had grapefruit size hail
that was really hard
went through lots of roofs

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flippy
If it’s real

It is real I live in the area and have friends whose homes were severely damaged by the hail. 160K in damages to one house. Never say it is a once in a life time storm. Fort Bend County had two once in a life time floods in a matter of 16 months. I was standing on the levee that protects our neighborhood looking at the homes outside of the levee system in 2016 thinking I would never see that again. Sept 2017 the flood was even worse.

thanks for the info
we will look for some commercial re-roofs down there
Posted By: Clearwater7

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 09:58 PM

Mayfest had grapefruit size hail
that was really hard
went through lots of roofs

eek2
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/27/24 10:00 PM

I was there, but we left about 30 minutes before storm hit, had just made it back to my apartment off Camp Bowie and Hulen, parked my truck halfway under a balcony made it inside and all hail broke loose, busted out every window on the west side and two on the south side of apartment, truck bed was beat all to hail but cab forward survived.
Posted By: a777pilot

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 01:19 AM

Subj: Solar power in Texas = bad idea

My opinion: They are a bad idea, any time and any where!

p.s., So are wind turbines!
Posted By: Quillback

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 10:53 AM

There's some irony. Global warming is supposed to create more intense storms, those intense storms create hail that damages the solar panels installed to mitigate global warming. You can't win.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by a777pilot

Yep, solar panels have spawned scammers. Fortunately I have not seen any door knockers in my neighborhood selling them. If I do they will get the same treatment that any other door knocker gets when they stop at my house. Just watched a video where a lady selling solar panels scammed some oldsters by convincing them that the panels would be free. The company that installed the panels did the right thing. They removed them, fixed the roof, and voided the contract. The lady selling the panels was fired.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 11:26 AM

Remember it well. Had a buddy that lived on the East side. He had grapefruit sized hail. Some came through the ceiling.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 11:30 AM

I am not opposed to green energy I think it is needed but only as part of the supply. Anyone who thinks they can fully replace fossil fuels needs a reality check. As many have said the sun does not always shine and the wind does not always blow. I assume for the damaged panels they will be replaced and put back into operation.
Posted By: Space

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/28/24 12:12 PM

My audilogist lives in Pecan Grove, Tx near Richmond, Tx she showed me a pic of hail on the ground 12" deep. It was a huge slab of solid ice. Her sons truck had dimples in the roof 2" in diameter it was beat to hell. I've seen that solar farm many times, it is south of hwy. 36 in Wallis, tx. When I went past there last Friday I saw a couple of sections of panels tilted in the wrong direction but no other damage.
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/29/24 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by a777pilot

They are the biggest waste of space, land owners are not able to utilize the land for anything else, they only retain 25% of what they absorb, and leave a bigger carbon footprint than what theyre trying to save with them

hey, as long as my checks dont bounce, I can mind my business.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Solar power in Texas = bad idea - 03/29/24 11:41 AM

We have them on the house. Just the back of the house so you can’t see the panels from the road. We’ve had them now for 5yrs. Im happy with my $9 electric bill from last month. The highest we e seen in the winter months is $127. We’ve been through 3 good hail storms with the biggest about golf ball size and luckily we haven’t had any damage to them. Upon installation they told us they would withstand up to baseball size. I hope we never have to test them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum