Texas Fishing Forum

Bowling Advice

Posted By: TBassYates

Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:01 PM

I used to bowl all through the 70's and 80's and there were tons of bowling alleys around DFW. My grandson recently got interested in it and even though I have seen all of the changes over the years and haven't bowled myself since those early years I was kind of blown away when doing research for places to bowl. I had a hard time even finding a place to bowl and thinking about the days when I would sometimes bowl 4 nights a week in leagues and then on Saturday nights in what I think they called the Carnival events where you bowled for money I wondered how it could have been so popular and now if many people at all are bowling in leagues.
Anyway my grandson was wanting to get his own ball and I even thought about getting myself one (my old Rhino, Hammer and Columbia Yellow Dots are long gone). I didn't have a clue where you would even go to find a ball and have them drilled to fit your fingers, although he is one of the young guys that doesn't even use a finger tip grip or put fingers in the ball at all.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: TexDawg

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:04 PM

Not a bowler
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:14 PM

there is an alley in paris, might call them for help.

haven't been in a bowling alley since probably 1969

Paris lanes
Service options: Serves food
Address: 2331 N Main St, Paris, TX 75460
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 PM
Good Friday hours
Phone: (903) 784-7425

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:25 PM

We are in the Forney area and the only place we have gone to is a little place in Terrell but didn't have a pro shop there.
I can tell you one thing for sure. When you reach 70 years old and haven't bowled in almost 30 years it is a whole different ball game. Bowled 4 games and felt it for 3 days.
smirk
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:29 PM

Pinstack in Dallas and surrounding suburbs. Lots of places in DFW
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 01:58 PM

Last ball I bought was at a pro shop in bowling rama in Rowlett after Jupiter Lanes closed down.
Posted By: Emit R Detsaw

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 02:08 PM

Not sure around your parts, but out local Walmart sales and drills bowling balls still.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zipster

Bowling is fun, and stupid expensive.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Spagnola

You got that right. When I was bolwing in the off season to mainly keep my pitching arm in shape I used to go on Sunday mornings to a Don Carter Lanes near my apartment and rent a lane and bowl game after game for an hour for about $20.00
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 02:17 PM

Fishkiller is a pro bowler, get with him.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 02:23 PM

Yes and David Ozio who is a Fork guide was one of the best pro's for many years and might try to get a message to him.
Thanks Caymas Cx 21.
Posted By: BassFever

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by TBassYates
I used to bowl all through the 70's and 80's and there were tons of bowling alleys around DFW. My grandson recently got interested in it and even though I have seen all of the changes over the years and haven't bowled myself since those early years I was kind of blown away when doing research for places to bowl. I had a hard time even finding a place to bowl and thinking about the days when I would sometimes bowl 4 nights a week in leagues and then on Saturday nights in what I think they called the Carnival events where you bowled for money I wondered how it could have been so popular and now if many people at all are bowling in leagues.
Anyway my grandson was wanting to get his own ball and I even thought about getting myself one (my old Rhino, Hammer and Columbia Yellow Dots are long gone). I didn't have a clue where you would even go to find a ball and have them drilled to fit your fingers, although he is one of the young guys that doesn't even use a finger tip grip or put fingers in the ball at all.

This was me as well, would bowl in several leagues a week and a traveling one as well. When a couple years back with some co-workers and ended up breaking both my old bowling balls nearly in half. Haven't been back since.
Posted By: dafanman

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 04:00 PM

Another thing, those older bowling balls much like mine are useless on todays lane conditions

And most def have any drilling done by a pro shop person who knows and understand weight blocks

The only bowling I do these days are on my Wii gaming system, 200 Plus 300 games so far cheers
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 04:03 PM

We are in the Forney area and the only place we have gone to is a little place in Terrell but didn't have a pro shop there.
I can tell you one thing for sure. When you reach 70 years old and haven't bowled in almost 30 years it is a whole different ball game. Bowled 4 games and felt it for 3 days.
smirk

Yes sir I bowled for years at Big town bowling lanes, carried like a 169 avg, best game ever 271, fun times I witnessed a man making the 7- 10 split when he did they stopped the league and announced it and the man received a plaque of some sort, big town back in the day it was BYOB
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Spagnola

I haven’t been in a while but I love to bowl. As the OP said my parents bowled in leagues 2 or 3 nights a week so I bowled a lot and shot a lot of pool. Back then they charged you by the game and it was like $3 a game. You could bowl 3 games for $10. I think they’re all by the hour now and no clue how much but heard it’s expensive.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 04:15 PM

balls.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/29/24 04:30 PM

The old days of oiled wood lanes and cool bowling balls is gone. The new lanes are synthetic and use no oil. Dry consistent, but takes the fun out of lane choice. There is some brand new lanes in Red Oak at I 35E and Ovilla. They also have a full bar, great movie theater, pickle ball courts.
Just opened this past week.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:54 AM

This is my new way to bowl for now, but hey, fun is fun right?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gusick

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:58 AM

The strip mall sporting goods stores like Oshmans or Sheels sells bowling balls.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by steveiam
This is my new way to bowl for now, but hey, fun is fun right?
[Linked Image]

I bet you could tear up a pinball machine.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 01:06 AM

Back in the day, you could go to a bowling alley smoke a carton of cigs and never have to buy one, and I don't smoke. Nasty [censored] places! barf

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 01:27 AM

The one advantage of the old school day bowling houses smoking permitted was that you could use cigarette ashes on your shoes to keep
from sticking at the line if you had stepped in liquid.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 01:37 AM

Technology has definitely changed. It would be best for you to go to a bowling alley with a reputable pro shop. They can allow you to test grips, ball weights, and even recommend the ball which has the appropriate amount of spin for you.

I also suggest, getting your own shoes. The ones at the lanes suck!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 01:46 AM

We need an OT bowling tournament.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955

Ratz is on it! hmmm

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Smurfs

Ratz is on it! hmmm

Ratz’s lifetime high game is 63.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:23 AM

Ratz is on it! hmmm

Ratz’s lifetime high game is 63.

Fact.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:27 AM

Can any yute score a game manually?
Posted By: gregpaul

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:27 AM

Back in the day, you could go to a bowling alley smoke a carton of cigs and never have to buy one, and I don't smoke. Nasty [censored] places! barf

And there always seemed to be a few semi-obese women consuming a large plate of fries slathered in ketchup

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by gregpaul

And there always seemed to be a few semi-obese women consuming a large plate of fries slathered in ketchup

roflmao
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 04:34 AM

Went candlepin bowling up in Nova Scotia with Mrs. RayBob's sister and her fam on one of our visits up there. Hard doesn't explain it.

When they said "let's go bowl" I though to myself that this will be good and a good time to put the screws to the smarmy know-it-all BIL. We went in there and I saw the softball sized bowling balls and the little pins ... I was screwed. It ain't the same game. I too bowled leagues in my 20's and 30's so I knew I still had the form if I could find a ball that kinda fit me. All that thinking was for naught.

Best video I could find ti illustrate this type of bowling.

Posted By: gander

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 10:51 AM

In Dallas....1940's style
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 11:04 AM

Don't forget the righteous tunes bowling alleys play, when lining up for a turkey and this banger comes on, nothing better

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 11:59 AM

Play it again sports will have all sorts of second hand quality bowling balls.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:02 PM

The only AMF that I am aware of still open is in Richardson
Campbell and Coit.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:04 PM

We should have an OT bowling tournament
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:09 PM

I never bowled much, but had friends that did so I would hang out n bowling alleys, They usually had good snack bar and cold beer.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:23 PM

my wife and i bowled in Georgetown on Monday / Wednesdays at 9am; old fart cheap bowling; started out at $0.25 / game, then went to 1$; still cheap; we started bowling 1away, or something like that; gave you 1 pin for a strike; i had 3 - 300 games with a little help; so much fun and got 2 know a bunch of old fart bowlers; good place to give away excess garden vegetables also;
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:36 PM

I might start bowling again when I fully retire. They have a bowling alley in Seven Points that's not to bad. It's right next door to the VFW. I'd have to change all of my equipment. I'm not sure I can manage cranking a 16 lb finger tip Quake like I used to. I'd probably drop back to 14 lb strike and spare ball. I used to carry several to the bowling alley when I bowled.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RayBob
Went candlepin bowling up in Nova Scotia with Mrs. RayBob's sister and her fam on one of our visits up there. Hard doesn't explain it.

When they said "let's go bowl" I though to myself that this will be good and a good time to put the screws to the smarmy know-it-all BIL. We went in there and I saw the softball sized bowling balls and the little pins ... I was screwed. It ain't the same game. I too bowled leagues in my 20's and 30's so I knew I still had the form if I could find a ball that kinda fit me. All that thinking was for naught.

Best video I could find ti illustrate this type of bowling.

I was working for a few weeks west of Boston once and the group invited me to the bowling alley. The house was half ten pin lanes and half candlepin lanes. I tried the candlepin and it was totally nuts. On another trip I was in the Baltimore area and my hotel was next to a duckpin bowling alley. Those pins are just over 4" tall and have a fat body. It's the only duckpin bowling alley I have ever seen.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Play it again sports will have all sorts of second hand quality bowling balls.

You probably make and repair your own bowling balls.
Posted By: Dognot

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 02:24 PM

I always used the balls that had yellow stars on them.

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 03:08 PM

Some of the best Patty Melts I have ever had came from bowling alley snack bars
Posted By: Mo

Re: Bowling Advice - 03/30/24 04:51 PM

When I was in College , my major required two semesters of PE, witch I thought was ridiculous. So I signed up for
beginning swimming and bowling. I want to say I broke 200 once or twice , never threatened 300.
Later on, bowling once or twice a year , 150 was a good game for me.

It seemed to me , in both bowling and golf , the harder I tried , the worse I did.

MO

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 07:49 PM

I ended up finding a really great pro shop in a place near Six Flags. So glad I drove all the way out there because they had really knowledgeable people and 3 different one's spent time with my grandson to watch him bowl with demo balls to make sure to track his rotation and get him the best ball for him. After getting the proper inserts in he was able to bowl a couple of games free just to really get the feel of his new bowling ball and he is really excited for future bowling.
It is Wicks Pro Shop at the International Training and Resource Center 621 Six Flags Dr. Arlington .
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 07:52 PM

man crazy
we went the 1st time in 20 years
what a blast

my son bowled a 222
6 strikes in a row
Posted By: nfhbass

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Westside.
We should have an OT bowling tournament

Bringing your mom?

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Can any yute score a game manually?

Easier than using those new digital boards.

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 08:30 PM

I ended up finding a really great pro shop in a place near Six Flags. So glad I drove all the way out there because they had really knowledgeable people and 3 different one's spent time with my grandson to watch him bowl with demo balls to make sure to track his rotation and get him the best ball for him. After getting the proper inserts in he was able to bowl a couple of games free just to really get the feel of his new bowling ball and he is really excited for future bowling.
It is Wicks Pro Shop at the International Training and Resource Center 621 Six Flags Dr. Arlington .

I might hit them up, thanks.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 08:49 PM

The USBC headquarters is in Arlington on Six Flags Drive. I think they have a pretty nice bowling alley and proshop as well. There's another AMF center on Cooper that had a pro shop years ago. Not sure about now. If you go to the USBC website you can search for nearby bowling centers.

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerDG

The USBC headquarters is in Arlington on Six Flags Drive. I think they have a pretty nice bowling alley and proshop as well. There's another AMF center on Cooper that had a pro shop years ago. Not sure about now. If you go to the USBC website you can search for nearby bowling centers.

thats another huge win
for A-Town
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/22/24 10:21 PM

I was a pin monkey at Golden Triangle Bowl in Irving in the late 80's. One of the funnest jobs I ever had. I pulled more tail out of that place than you could shake a stick at.

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/23/24 12:13 AM

Let's meet a cowtown lanes in river oaks.

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/23/24 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Let's meet a cowtown lanes in river oaks.

thats where we went
it was great
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Bowling Advice - 04/23/24 12:56 AM

Back in the late 80's early 90's I used to go to the Don Carter lanes in Dallas and on Sunday morning early you could bowl 1 hour for $5. I could get 10 games in 1 hour.
Talked to Michale Irvin one day as some of the Cowboys players were hosting a kids outing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum