Texas Fishing Forum

Hummer

Posted By: Crowbar

Hummer - 04/25/24 05:32 PM

Bird variety...sorry.

My wife did something kind of amazing this morning. A few days ago I noticed a humming bird sitting on one of our feeders for a really long time. I went out on the porch to get a closer look and noticed a clump of something on its beak. I couldn't tell if it was a growth of some sort or what. We kept seeing it come and go and it seemed to be doing okay. We nicknamed it Lil Fatty because its feathers were always ruffled up like birds do during a cold snap, which we thought odd given it certainly hasn't been cold. Fast forward to this morning and the wife noticed Lil Fatty back on the feeder. This time though it seemed very lethargic and the other hummers weren't being the typical a-holes they normally are when jockeying for position at the feeders...they were all leaving this one alone and eating from other ones instead. The wife walked outside and the bird didn't fly off as she approached. She had a paper towel and was able to coax it off the feeder perch and into her hand. She took it inside for better light so she could examine its beak and discovered a fly or similar insect had been impaled upon it! She said the bug was basically glued to the beak so she put a drop of water and small piece of wetted paper towel on it. After a few minutes she was able to slide the insect off and return it to the feeder perch where it sat for several minutes and then began to eat....and slowly flutter its wings...and then finally defend the feeder from others if they got too close. LOL

Here is a photo after she removed the bug. She unfortunately did not take a before pic. You can see it is still all puffed up and looking pretty rough and the bump/blister on the beak where the bug had been lodged.

[Linked Image]

Here are the remains of the bug she removed.

[Linked Image]

Wife now reports the bird is now acting fine and is flying back and forth from feeder to a nearby oak on a regular basis now. She has always had a knack for this kind of thing. She will try and rehab just about anything she thinks is sick or suffering...probably explains how I lucked out with her as my bride? I thought about nicknaming her Snow White but thought better of it when the thought of being called Dopey in return seemed inevitable.

Anyway that's it for this episode of Wild Kingdom!
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 05:55 PM

I have bad news for that horndog hummingbird…he’ll now be dealing with mouth sores for the rest of his life. I too, messed with sketchy females back in the day. It’s the gift that keeps giving.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 05:58 PM

That’s cool!
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse
I have bad news for that horndog hummingbird…he’ll now be dealing with mouth sores for the rest of his life. I too, messed with sketchy females back in the day. It’s the gift that keeps giving.

roflmao

Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 06:28 PM

LOL
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 07:00 PM

neat story and pics-thanks for sharing...
Posted By: Clearwater7

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 07:25 PM

Cool pic!
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 07:29 PM

That's crazy, probably happened during flight.
Posted By: JCBYEN

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 10:11 PM

Feel good story of the day!
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 11:16 PM

i was in my front yard and heard squeaking / squealing and found a hummer in a spider web; the biga$$ spider headed toward the hummer so i grabbed it and the spider web before it to go him; took a little bit to get all the web off the hummer, but when i did, it let me know and off it went; it was a good day for the hummer and me.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 11:22 PM

"Hummer" <giggle>
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Hummer - 04/25/24 11:27 PM

A while back I noticed a Hummingbird clinging to the screen on our screened in porch... A short while later he still there so I open the door and walk out. His beak was stuck in the screen. I gave him a gentle nudge and off he went... Dan
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Hummer - 04/26/24 12:29 AM

Love them hummers...... smile
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Hummer - 04/26/24 12:39 AM

We have a large crowd this year and really enjoy them! Cats try to pick them off but we keep the feeders high enough to be out of “jumping range”!
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Hummer - 04/26/24 01:25 PM

coolphotos Nice story Crowbar, thanks for sharing... thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum