Texas Fishing Forum

crispy fish fry breading?

Posted By: Darrell

crispy fish fry breading? - 04/20/24 05:47 PM

probably been asked a million times but looking for good, spicy, crispy fish fry breading recipe ..and tips before frying to make more crispy
looking for recipe to make my own
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/20/24 10:20 PM

It has been and you will get a bunch of different answers. I use Louisiana Fish Fry Crispy, and its good but not "spicy, hot"... good luck popcorn
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/22/24 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jig Man
It has been and you will get a bunch of different answers. I use Louisiana Fish Fry Crispy, and its good but not "spicy, hot"... good luck popcorn
We did a fish cookoff taste test at Hideaway Harbor on Lake Fork about 5 years ago. There was about 6 entries and the Blue Bag Louisiana Fish Fry won the competition. The Red has a spicier mix.
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/24/24 08:21 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/24/24 09:23 PM

Andy's Fish Fry mixed with Japanese Panko

You can thank me later.

Andy's Cajun

Panko

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/25/24 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser

You can thank me later.

Andy's Cajun

Panko

HHHMMMMMM ...... 50/50 Andy's and Old London looks like it may be worth trying! .... THANKS!!!
Posted By: chickenman

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/28/24 02:36 AM

Panko all day.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 04/28/24 05:06 PM

Put your fillets in a bowl of ice sprinkle some lemon juice on them and let sit in fridge.
It makes the fillets nice and firm.
Whip up an egg wash. Dip the fillets in the egg wash.
Go to baking isle at local grocery store and look for Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs in a box.
Put those in a gallon ziploc bag.
After you dip the fillets toss into ziploc bag with Kellogg's Corn Flake crumbs to coat the fillets.
You could put whatever spicy seasoning you would like in the ziploc bag as well.
Pull out the fillets lay them on a plate and let dry a bit.
Drop in deep fryer when you are ready to cook.
I have been known to cut my fillets up to look like Chick Fil a Chicken Nuggets.
Crappie Nuggets. They fry up in a couple minutes and they are great.
Once you try the crunch with the corn flake crumbs you will never want just corn meal again.
I understand that many are set in their ways or have different tastes from how they grew up.
Nothing wrong with different strokes for different folks.

Give it a try sometime. Just one of many recipes out there.

Any questions feel free to give me a call.
214-264-3232
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/04/24 02:21 AM

Southern Star Fish Fry

This is the best stuff ever...
Posted By: gborg

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/04/24 12:25 PM

Excellent recipes from the official tasters of the Crappie world ! Have tried most of them, all good. Hard to out do the crispness of fresh fried Crappie done right !
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/04/24 10:04 PM

Louisiana Fish Fry Crispy for the win! food
Posted By: WAWI

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/05/24 12:23 AM

Learning to operate a fryer goes a long way. Get that thing to 375 so it doesn't fall past 350 when you load it. And don't over load it. I get crispy fish with several different products. Really most all of them.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/05/24 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Learning to operate a fryer goes a long way. Get that thing to 375 so it doesn't fall past 350 when you load it. And don't over load it. I get crispy fish with several different products. Really most all of them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Densonj

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/05/24 06:08 PM

Slap yo mama fish fry

https://www.academy.com/p/slap-ya-mama-1-gallon-cajun-fish-fry-seasoning
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/05/24 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Darrell
probably been asked a million times but looking for good, spicy, crispy fish fry breading recipe ..and tips before frying to make more crispy
looking for recipe to make my own
If you want to KRISPY Here it is:
If you want spicy it`s in the seasoning
if you want Krispy it`s in the consistant Temp of the cookin oil.Try and Keep the oil between 350F-375F & give it time to increase between batches because the temp will drop when you add fish. Don`t overload the Fryer!! You can have all the batter & spices you want but if you over crowd the oil you will have a decrease in the oil Temp and the results will be a Spicy but Greasy fish fry. 2cents
Posted By: Slick Rick ‘06

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/08/24 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
We did a fish cookoff taste test at Hideaway Harbor on Lake Fork about 5 years ago. There was about 6 entries and the Blue Bag Louisiana Fish Fry won the competition. The Red has a spicier mix.

The Louisiana Seasoned Crispy "Blue" fish fry is what we used, and the results were excellent. Crispy shell and the flavor so tasty.
Posted By: CDS

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/08/24 02:23 PM

Make an ice bath with ice cubes and Louisiana Hot Sauce. Drop fillets in the Louisiana ice bath and let them soak for 2 hours in the fridge. Then add 1/4 cup of corn starch to 1 lbs of flower and season to taste with salt and pepper. Take fillets out of Louisiana ice bath and shake them in a bag with the flour/corn starch mixture. Take them out and dip them back in Louisiana ice bath just to wet them and then back in the bag of flour and shake them until coated. Drop them in hot fryer. Make sure you don' overload fryer. Hot grease makes them crunchy. Cold grease makes them limp and greasy.

My Uncle Watson used to test the heat of his grease by dropping a "strike anywhere" match in it. If it lit on fire the grease was hot enough. If it didn't light he would pull it out and let it heat a little longer and then test it again.
Posted By: zebcoomega1

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/13/24 06:46 PM

Blue Louisiana cut with New Orleans blue and yellow bag. Blue Louisiana can
be a little salty and the blue and yellow New Orleans has some flour in it.
Fried in peanut oil and like above posts keep around 360 and don't overload
Fryer .
Posted By: Walls

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/15/24 01:41 PM

You can thank me later.

Andy's Cajun

Panko

Tried it this weekend and WOW does that Andy's Cajun have a kick. I loved it, but it was a bit strong for a couple of my kids. But thank you.

Re: crispy fish fry breading? - 05/15/24 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Walls

You can thank me later.

Andy's Cajun

Panko

Tried it this weekend and WOW does that Andy's Cajun have a kick. I loved it, but it was a bit strong for a couple of my kids. But thank you.

Try that Old London seasoned bread crumbs ... the kids will love that!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum