Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni crappie ?

Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Tawakoni crappie ? - 04/22/24 04:15 PM

Have the crappie moved into the shallows and done their spawning thing yet and moved back out ?
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: Tawakoni crappie ? - 04/23/24 04:46 AM

I would say mostly yes. There may still be some shallow but majority should be transitioning
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Tawakoni crappie ? - 04/23/24 06:26 AM

Based on our weather patterns we’ve had I’m gonna guess it’s in the period where we’ve probably got prespawn, postspawn, and spawning fish all present at the same time. Generally I would target spawners until about the second week of may (usually until water temps hit about 72-74 degrees) and then I’ll start looking deeper. The problem is that oftentimes they don’t really start to stack up on brush until about the second week in may. This trend tends to hold pretty true. I remember one year we were catching fish on lay downs in 4-5’ well in to may and a lot were still dark males so they stay up shallow a lot longer than many folks think. That being said I’ve had many a trips where they’re scattered up shallow and deep the first weekend in may and then I come back in a week or two and we’ve got a two man limit in a few hours.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: Tawakoni crappie ? - 04/23/24 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Based on our weather patterns we’ve had I’m gonna guess it’s in the period where we’ve probably got prespawn, postspawn, and spawning fish all present at the same time. Generally I would target spawners until about the second week of may (usually until water temps hit about 72-74 degrees) and then I’ll start looking deeper. The problem is that oftentimes they don’t really start to stack up on brush until about the second week in may. This trend tends to hold pretty true. I remember one year we were catching fish on lay downs in 4-5’ well in to may and a lot were still dark males so they stay up shallow a lot longer than many folks think. That being said I’ve had many a trips where they’re scattered up shallow and deep the first weekend in may and then I come back in a week or two and we’ve got a two man limit in a few hours.

There are some facts here!! The water round these parts has warmed to 70° and then plummetted the next week with a cold front and the wind churning that cold air in. Has happened several times. Belton Lake was so low(21') and now is <9' so all the new vegatation that grew up is flooded and they have a gagillion places to spawn. I think we will still have spawners well into May. Kind of a messed up spring. But that is spring!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum