Texas Fishing Forum

Stripping Paint

Posted By: TOMCAT21

Stripping Paint - 03/12/24 12:13 AM

Anyone have any tips for stripping paint from painted spinnerbait blades?
Posted By: cadman

Re: Stripping Paint - 03/13/24 02:43 AM

What I do is, I put the painted bodies in a glass bowl and fill the bowl with Zinseer paint stripper. Let the baits sit there for about 30 minutes. Then take them out one at a time and wipe off the stripper. If all the paint doesn't come off put the body back in the stripper for another 30 minutes. Once the paint is gone wash the lead bodies with Dawn or liquid dish soap to clean any residue stripper. Clean well, dry and repaint. Make sure you wear rubber gloves when you work with the stripper and don't get it in your eyes. See attached pic

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Stripping Paint - 03/13/24 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by cadman
What I do is, I put the painted bodies in a glass bowl and fill the bowl with Zinseer paint stripper. Let the baits sit there for about 30 minutes. Then take them out one at a time and wipe off the stripper. If all the paint doesn't come off put the body back in the stripper for another 30 minutes. Once the paint is gone wash the lead bodies with Dawn or liquid dish soap to clean any residue stripper. Clean well, dry and repaint. Make sure you wear rubber gloves when you work with the stripper and don't get it in your eyes. See attached pic

I cannot find this online. Any idea where I can find it? TY
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Stripping Paint - 03/14/24 02:13 AM

I’d think you could buy new blades for the cost of the stripper unless you are doing quite a few blades at once
Posted By: Strugglebus

Re: Stripping Paint - 03/26/24 08:35 PM

Would this work to get the paint off of plastic lure bodies?
Posted By: Grasshopperglock

Re: Stripping Paint - 03/26/24 08:37 PM

Got a shell casing tumbler? Walnut media. Harbor freight has a few.

Stick the lure body in that. Run it overnight.

Re: Stripping Paint - 04/07/24 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by TOMCAT21
Originally Posted by cadman

I cannot find this online. Any idea where I can find it? TY

Sorry for the late reply. I just got a new computer. Anyway, I got this at Home Depot or Menards, don't remember which store. There are also other paint strippers available that are a different brand. Buy the strongest you can get, which will lead to less time for the stripper to work.

Re: Stripping Paint - 04/07/24 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Strugglebus
Would this work to get the paint off of plastic lure bodies?

No, it will not work on plastic lures. The paint stripper will melt the plastic lure body.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum