Texas Fishing Forum

Brownsville/Port Isabel?

Posted By: Flags

Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/13/24 06:31 PM

I just took a teaching job in Los Fresnos which is about 20 miles east of Brownsville. I have zero experience down there. Looking for some advice/tips on wade fishing, jetty fishing and pier fishing. Any info is greatly appreciated
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/13/24 08:07 PM

I will PM you my number. I live right up the road in Harlingen.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/13/24 08:11 PM

Sounds good. Thanks. I am in Amarilllo so I know very little about fishing and hunting down that way
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/13/24 09:45 PM

Flags you will enjoy it. Lots of good fish to be had off the piers and the jetty at South Padre Island.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 01:45 PM

Congratulations!
Best inshore fishing in the country right there.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Congratulations!
Best inshore fishing in the country right there.

But maybe not the safest. scared

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 02:26 PM

There's sketchy places all up and down the coast. South bay or Laguna Vista is safer than parking and leaving your stuff in Galveston for sure.

One trip with Jim, he'll know he's landed in an amazing place.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 02:43 PM

A good close-by place to wade or pier fish is Jaime Zapata Boat ramp park on Hwy 48 half-way between Brownsville and Port Isabel. The channel under the bridge goes into San Martin Lake. Last Saturday, my fishing Buddy hooked up a slot snook, on live shrimp, right by the bridge. RGV Bait & Tackle, just east of Los Fresnos is a good place for bait & gear. Lots of good fishing in your new area. Listen to Jim Ford. IslandJim

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 04:26 PM

The majority of the issues with crime and illegal immigrants occur way up the river. SPI and PI are like any other city; there is always some crime, but it's not as bad --in this area -- as some would have you believe. The people here are much more friendly and engaging than you are probably used to. I think you'll like it. There is great fishing here. There are several places to access the backside of SPI for wade fishing, and the jetties at SPI and Boca Chica are handy. You can camp on the beach all year except March (spring break) and enjoy the surf fishing. If you plan to get a boat to fish the Laguna Madre make sure it's a tunnel hull; it's a very shallow bay system and once you get a bit north of PI the only deep water is in the Intracoastal Waterway.

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/14/24 04:29 PM

There's sketchy places all up and down the coast. South bay or Laguna Vista is safer than parking and leaving your stuff in Galveston for sure.

Pat is absolutely correct.

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/16/24 10:13 PM

LLM is a very different body of water. 90% is 2 feet or less. A lot less. Shallow is what matters or you’ll restrict your gaming areas.

Scooter/flats rigs designed for that area are built with purpose. Tunnel for elevated motor height to run at least 6” deep, low/no sides serve two purposes, low profile for drifting flats and much easier dragging your carcass back in after a wade.

First 7+ trout that tries to take your topwater away, first sight fished red, or first six pound flounder will ruin you for life.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/24/24 07:02 PM

Pat you gonna bring that boat down here sometime!
If your looking for a exploring guide trip let me know. I’ll show you areas you can get into and out of safely.
Getting my new 24Mod V this next month. It’s still in the mold right now.

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/24/24 11:24 PM

Thanks Andrew.
Know my way around pretty decent. We had a fish camp in Mansfield for twenty years and best friend has a place in Arroyo City.

Seadrift is a little better for redfish but not in same league for big trout or flounder.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/25/24 02:15 AM

Thanks Andrew.
Know my way around pretty decent. We had a fish camp in Mansfield for twenty years and best friend has a place in Arroyo City.

Seadrift is a little better for redfish but not in same league for big trout or flounder.

I’ll be up around port o Connor a bit soon. I have a good buddy with a house up there.

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 03/25/24 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Andrew
Thanks Andrew.

I’ll be up around port o Connor a bit soon. I have a good buddy with a house up there.

Hit me up, pretty sure we can find something to break.
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Brownsville/Port Isabel? - 04/21/24 03:02 PM

LUCKY YOU FLAGS!!! You're in the best location on the entire Texas Gulf Coast, a fact.
Take on the real challenge - Do It On Fly! The fly fishing population apparently got a real boost, the one I anticipated, with the business startup I did on the Island. People who want a place for community, that revolves around fly fishing and coffee? Give Los Pescadores a go! NOTE: I am not there anymore, and accept no responsibility - for the crowds of fly fishers showing up there now!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum