Print Thread
BIGFOOT Ultra Light Reels For Day Spinning! #15067545 05/08/24 04:21 PM
S
Scuba Chris Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
The 500 & 1K Ultra-Light/Light From Bigfoot Outdoor and Sporting Goods!
(Mistake in the line diameters! When i say millimeters, like .002mm, it's really .002in. Sorry!)

Before i fell ill over a month ago I had almost finished this project on using my newly acquired ultra-light spinning reels in a manner never used before here in Hawaii. I was targeting Big Eyed Scad (known locally as Akule) in the daytime by waiting for the winds to help my non-weighted rigs reach the school from shore.

Most local angler use a weighted rig but i know the lead weight scares the fish during the day. So i used long Okuma spinning rods with ultra-light Bigfoot reels to get my non-weighted lures far offshore by utilizing wind direction & extremely thin braided line instead of the traditional "transparent" monofilament line with/or without fluorocarbon leaders & the use of a lead weight.

And it worked! I was able to fill a bag in under an hour. But my activities started to attract unwanted attention by the regulars. Everyone knew who i was but wanted to know why my rigs differed greatly from theirs & was still catching. I knew several of them so i gave my fish to them & said give some away if you like. Of all my UL reels i really liked the Bigfoots. And the big secret was using the Spiderwire Ultracast 4lb braid. The stats? Spool held 164yd & had a max breaking point of 14lb?! Insane! Line diameter was the thinnest as well at 0.002in.

Basically i used wind direction & waited for an above windy day. This replaced my need for a weight assisted delivery system. Sensitive fish will see a lead weight so not having one on is a big advantage. Plus 4lb braid is much more invisible in the water than 4lb mono. Much smaller diameter and when the line spins it doesn't reflect/refract light like mono/fluoro does. Those "flashes" will also scare the fish. And i'm using customized lures that i'll reveal at a latter date.

Attached Files Cover-Bigfoot-Verified.png

Traveled the World diving & fishing. Became a ranked billiard player in Asia. Won a few senior bowling tournaments. I travel to the US, Australia & Europe working with museums & doing educational lectures.
Re: BIGFOOT Ultra Light Reels For Day Spinning! [Re: Scuba Chris] #15068677 05/09/24 04:14 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
I only freshwater fish and I have always used light tackle. I target sunfish but have caught many of BIG FISH on light tackle while fishing for sunfish aka Bluegill, Redbreast, Redear, Green Sunfish, Warmouth, and Longear. Love the fights on light tackle. thumb

Side Note: Neat video. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide