Forums59
Topics1,039,990
Posts13,973,683
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Twex] #1185382 03/02/07 04:45 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Twex
Anyways, the camry should be fine for carrying a boat, my recommendation would actually to keep the camry and use it as a weekend/boat carrying car and not care about getting dings/etc, and get another work vehicle when the time/money is right.

Good luck, and enjoy! its truely an addiction.

That's kinda the same way I've been leaning towards. Makes sense in a financial way for sure. Not only is it paid for...but it is fuel efficient as well.

Of course I'm trying to put together an idea of what I'll need to spend on getting the yak and outfitting needed to be able to have a safe and enjoyable time. It gets a little frustrating when you start pricing things like roof racks and the like that cost as much as the yak itself. I mean the sky is the limit for all of the gear I'd guess. so any advice on outfitting things like paddles etc, with reasonably priced-durable items will be gladly taken

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #1185685 03/02/07 02:31 PM
L
Llama Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Dave,
I was in the same dilema last year when I bought my yak. I live in Montana but planned on using it 90 percent of the time around Port Aransas. I went to a couple of kayak forums and was overwelmed with advice, most of it useless for my needs. The first thing I did was evaluate what would work for me. I wanted a tandem as my wife and I fish together often. I'm 6'4" and she's 5'2" and can't swim,so big and roomy and stable was the ticket. I also wanted a sit on top and as many features as I could get. What I looked for was lenght and width.For my needs Ocean Kayaks' Zest 2 was perfect. It is also self bailing and light (78lbs) I am going to buy a single for myself this year. It will be at least 12 feet long and 34" wide.When it came to paddles, everybody was recommending the high end cabon paddles blah,blah, blah. Being frugal(cheap), I opted for the inexpensive anodized aluminum Carlisle paddles at $59.00 each. They worked just fine. I installed Scotty flush mounted rod holders and 2-6", and one 18" hatch. The seats I ordered with my yak have a strap adjustment for the back, this is an important item as back position will determine back comfort, also I would suggest an additional cushion for the butt area. I would suggest life jackets designed for kayakers as they have more room around the armpit area. BUY THE VERY BEST LIFE JACKETS THAT YOU CAN AFFORD!!I did buy an expensive cartop carrier as it's 2000 miles one way from here to Port A. Otherwise I think the foam pads are just fine for trips of a shorter duration. I hope this helps. I saw lots of places around Rockport Aransas Pass and Corpus Christi that sell kayaks. You should be able to get 1st hand advice from any type of place like that.Good luck.Very few places around Montana sell sit kayaks so I had to order mine and try things that I thought would work.

Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Llama] #1186081 03/02/07 07:07 PM
J
Jim Wolfe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Almost any roof rack system rated for a minimum of 100 lbs would do the trick.
Make sure you get the pads for the racks crossbars and then when you place the yak on the rack upside down use the flat straps that have the one way pull buckle at one end to tie it down.
Once you cinch it down tight to the rack it won't be going anywhere.
And remember, if you do not want it to sound on the freeway like a 747 engine is mounted on your roof make sure you put a twist in the strap, versus letting them lie flat between the kayak and the rack. If not twisted the flat straps will vibrate too much and put off a heck of a racket. One twist will cut that noise down by 75%.

Jim Wolfe

Davey Crockett to US Congress upon his resignation- "You all can go to hell, I'm going to Texas".

"You know how you can always tell when a politician is lying? Because their lips are moving"!!!
Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Jim Wolfe] #1186894 03/03/07 03:44 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Llama, and Jim, Thanks to both of you for good information. And yes...I've been freaking out kinda when pricing paddles online at the kayak sites and their vendors sites. Good Lord....that's a lot of money! laugh Oh....also, Welcome to the forum Llama. I see you are a new member! Good to have ya. thumb

Jim, That's some great advice about the straps. I would have fought that for years before figuring it out on my own! noidea

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #1187021 03/03/07 04:41 AM
E
ElectricWaterBoy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
Last weekend I saw a Mini Cooper hauling a yak, so I imagine a Camry will do just fine. Looks like you have plenty of hauling advice. Now tackle the next question. Do you have any preferences in a yak?

Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: ElectricWaterBoy] #1206815 03/23/07 02:41 PM
G
gober Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Davy,

I meant to post these back when you started this thread. Here are a few pictures of my yaks in transport. These are from my 4000 mile trip for their maiden voyage. My 99 Sentra hauls those kayaks every where. The boats are 13 feet long and my car is about 16 feet. I frequently run highway speeds 70+ with them on top. It will kill you gas mileage.

As for the price of paddles, I made my own. I spent less than 20 bucks to make both. The shafts are 1X2 cedar from Home Depot and the blades are 1x4 walnut, poplar and maple. I used left over fiberglass and epoxy from building my yaks. I am currently putting a site together on my build process.

~gober

Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: gober] #1209503 03/25/07 04:38 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Great setup...and really cool looking paddles.

Dave Morris

Re: Yet another pesty question from a yak wannabe. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #1209548 03/25/07 05:28 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Hey guys, I ran across this old kayak frame the other day at a business I frequent in Natalia (south Of San Antonio.} It appears to be pretty old and apparently a canvas or such material covered the outside. I dunno...just guessing. It appears to be in good shape with only a couple of pieces of wood in need of repair or replacement. Paddle was included. Don't know the price, but it's for sale.

If any of you enthusiast would like to have it let know and I'll give you the phone number. These guys are in the military surplus business and not in the kayak business. I'd bet it could be bought pretty cheap.

Sorry bout the carpy cell phone pics.

Dave Morris

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide