Forums59
Topics1,041,134
Posts13,994,158
Members144,249
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jerry713] #14786073 07/22/23 04:07 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Jerry713
Originally Posted by Mike@972
OP: you are asking a hotly debated question amongst kayakers eek

Here is where I land on the hotly debated issue... Im not implying that my opinion is "right", its simply where I personally land on the subject.

I know myself, if it's not comfortable in hot weather, I won't wear it. If I get used to not wearing it when it's hot, I won't wear it even if it's not hot. Because of this, I wear a Mustang inflatable (in my opinion, this is the absolute most comfortable PFD). I fish out of a PA14 and am unlikely to ever hit the water. If I do, I am protected. Because I don't have a traditional PFD in the kayak, I carry an extra bobbin and CO2 cartridge in case I ever need to reload it when on the water.

If I was white water kayaking or jacking around with a 10' kayak in open water, I would absolutely wear a traditional PFD because I am very likely to hit the water and don't want the hassle of reloading an inflatable.

Personally, I have never heard of a quality inflatable failing, but I realize that it is possible... Just like it's possible that the seatbelt in my truck could fail.

Some will use potential failure as a reason not to use an inflatable. However, I use "human nature" (i.e.: comfort) as a reason to recommend an inflatable for people like me (i.e.: someone who has been known not to wear a PFD) who fish out of a relatively stable kayak.

In short, I believe that for every potential inflatable failure, there are 10,000 points of danger from people that elect not to wear a traditional PFD because traditional PFD's are relatively hot and uncomfortable (especially in the heat of summer).

The re-entry concerns mentioned above are absolutely valid and I cannot debate them. Even still, I know myself and stick with the inflatable.

This is my two cents... and might be worth just that smile

Mike I sure hope you didn’t jinx yourself sir. It’s hard to flip a PA14 but wind and water have plenty of power to do so.

100% agree.... When I said "unlikely to hit the water" I was implying as it relates to other kayaks. This is why I wear the inflatable. In my bass boat, I never wore a PFD, but I do in a kayak.

I'm not saying that I'm smart... it was foolish not to wear a PFD when going 60mph. It might be foolish to wear an inflatable in a kayak, but it's better than nothing at all.

I know me. I hate wearing a PFD and I made myself make peace with the inflatable. There was a time when I didn't wear a PFD in the kayak unless the water was cold... then I got caught in a squall and almost got pushed into the middle of Ray Roberts with HUGE rollers. This scared me into wearing one from that point forward.

A traditional PFD will most certainly be easier for re-entry... I can't debate this.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Mike@972] #14786290 07/22/23 02:34 PM
S
Snottynose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I went kayak fishing when I was sick. Like others have said, I wear an auto inflate PFD due to the comfort level.
last thing I remember was reaching formy water bottle when I found myself coming to upside down in the water.
The PFD did its job and kept my head above the water. They work and I won't be in any boat without one on.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14786319 07/22/23 03:15 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Jezreel
Haaaaaaa. That’s a Bill Dance Blooper of I’ve ever seen one. I’ve got a decision to make that’s for sure. As all y’all know, summertime fishin’ these days is H-O-T. . . Hot! ! ! I Do wear my inflatable 100% of the time, but I’m afraid I’d skimp if I got a foam filled and got too hot.

I’ll tell ya the thing I’m most worried about is being on a brush pile in the middle of the lake and having some Yahoo in a bass tourney trying to get to the next spot. I’ve had guys fly past doing 60-70mph. If I get hit or have to bail out and my kayak is damaged, I really want to know my PFD is gonna support my head and keep me a float. That’s why I considered a new foam filled.

Thanks so much for the replies. And YES, I did ask for Opinions and First Hand Experience.

I think you just answered your question... if you think you will take off the foam PFD, then stick with the inflatable.

Just make sure you get a good one. The Mustang is not for the faint of heart (they are over $200) but they are sturdy and relatively comfortable. On a side note, Texas Fish and Game Wardens wear Mustang inflatables... Granted, they are on a traditional boat, but they know a thing or two about PFD's and the fact that they sourced Mustang is meaningful to me. This is not to imply that Mustang is the only good brand out there, there are a few other good ones.

Also, you can thread the needle here (and maybe I will one day too). Meaning, you can have both... An inflatable for hot weather and a traditional for not-so-hot weather.

Last edited by Mike@972; 07/22/23 03:16 PM.
Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Mike@972] #14786351 07/22/23 04:02 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jezreel
Haaaaaaa. That’s a Bill Dance Blooper of I’ve ever seen one. I’ve got a decision to make that’s for sure. As all y’all know, summertime fishin’ these days is H-O-T. . . Hot! ! ! I Do wear my inflatable 100% of the time, but I’m afraid I’d skimp if I got a foam filled and got too hot.

I’ll tell ya the thing I’m most worried about is being on a brush pile in the middle of the lake and having some Yahoo in a bass tourney trying to get to the next spot. I’ve had guys fly past doing 60-70mph. If I get hit or have to bail out and my kayak is damaged, I really want to know my PFD is gonna support my head and keep me a float. That’s why I considered a new foam filled.

Thanks so much for the replies. And YES, I did ask for Opinions and First Hand Experience.

I think you just answered your question... if you think you will take off the foam PFD, then stick with the inflatable.

Just make sure you get a good one. The Mustang is not for the faint of heart (they are over $200) but they are sturdy and relatively comfortable. On a side note, Texas Fish and Game Wardens wear Mustang inflatables... Granted, they are on a traditional boat, but they know a thing or two about PFD's and the fact that they sourced Mustang is meaningful to me. This is not to imply that Mustang is the only good brand out there, there are a few other good ones.

Also, you can thread the needle here (and maybe I will one day too). Meaning, you can have both... An inflatable for hot weather and a traditional for not-so-hot weather.

Depending on the model Mustangs are rated type II and III which means it counts as a pfd even when not worn. The AM/24 and most others are type IV. They only count as a pfd if worn. If that’s all you have and are not wearing it believe it or not but can be given a citation

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14792178 07/28/23 06:50 AM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Getting back on board can be difficult with the Bulge from any type of PFD compared to no pfd, especially for someone in a weakened / elderly state. The foam PFD might have to be taken off completely to get back on, and that would seem to be a lot more difficult / hazardous than just deflating the other type, to take away the bulge. For someone that doesn't make it back on board, they may be left without a foam PFD that drifts away after removal. It would seem harder to put back on the foam type while in the water, compared to just using the mouth blow tube with an inflatable. JMHO.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14792702 07/28/23 06:02 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Inflatable pfds that can be set to Automatic or Manual pull are probably the most versatile, for those concerned about the inflation mechanism reliability. The large ones can be worn partially inflated using their mouth tube, adjusted in the M state to provide the same buoyancy as foam type, when someone is expecting a known hazardous situation. When manually adjusted like that, they are more comfortable than foam, because they can be worn looser, and the bladder bubbles will move around with body motions, allowing for better ventilation and comfort, at least in my experience. The manual pull position also allows someone to drive down and retrieve tackle that has fallen overboard, a simple pull will bring you up if it becomes necessary.

Hope this helps.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14793046 07/29/23 12:31 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I haven't read all the posts but foam all the way. You can get them comfortable enough to be good to wear all the time.they are constantly reliable. When you add gadgets they can fail. Thats not the area I'd like something to fail.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14806619 08/10/23 04:47 PM
J
Jeremy S. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I personally prefer an inflatable. I’ve used them for a longgggggg time on my bass boats but always work a traditional foam for a kayak.

It’s so freakin hot this summer though that I’m probably gonna have to give up on the foam and wear the inflatable for the kayak too because I can’t take the damn heat with the foam.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jeremy S.] #14807110 08/10/23 11:42 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Jeremy S.
I personally prefer an inflatable. I’ve used them for a longgggggg time on my bass boats but always work a traditional foam for a kayak.

It’s so freakin hot this summer though that I’m probably gonna have to give up on the foam and wear the inflatable for the kayak too because I can’t take the damn heat with the foam.

I think your in a kayak, in the lake, it has water in it that can cool you down. That's way better than sacrificing saftey...just my 2 cents and 40+ years of paddling.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: christian myrick] #14807213 08/11/23 01:20 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by christian myrick

I think your in a kayak, in the lake, it has water in it that can cool you down. That's way better than sacrificing saftey...just my 2 cents and 40+ years of paddling.

We can also remove the automatic seatbelts in our trucks and install 5-point seat belts. While we are at it, we can all install an old school hard cabled emergency break.

I tease a little cheers... but I'm am also a little bit serious. Meaning, mechanical measures that were deemed necessary 30+ years ago are no longer "reasonably necessary" with the advancement and refinement of newer solutions.

My primary disclaimer is to make sure one is using a GOOD quality automatic (which is not cheap) and to carry an extra CO2 and bobbin in case of accidental (or life-saving) deployment.

My secondary disclaimer is to clarify that this is for folks who fish out of relatively stable kayaks on lakes (not ocean)... which represents 90+% of us on this particular forum.

My last disclaimer is to point out that one can "thread the needle" by having a foam PFD for cooler weather and a good-quality automatic PFD for hotter weather. Also, one can (and should) carry a foam PFD in case things turn bad and/or if you run out of CO2/bobbins.

You aint wrong Christain... the prudent thing to do is wear a traditional PFD. No doubt about it. However, human nature being what it is, a good quality automatic is a MUCH better choice than nothing at all for those of us who will take it off when it's hot.

Like you, this is my 2 cents and might only be worth just that. I fully appreciate that you are more experienced than most (perhaps all) of us and I greatly appreciate all of your advice (I really do). I am simply sharing my thoughts on the matter because I know there are jack-arses (like me) that absolutely hate PFD's and think they are good enough swimmers to "risk it".

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Mike@972] #14807925 08/11/23 06:10 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

We can also remove the automatic seatbelts in our trucks and install 5-point seat belts. While we are at it, we can all install an old school hard cabled emergency break.

I tease a little cheers... but I'm am also a little bit serious. Meaning, mechanical measures that were deemed necessary 30+ years ago are no longer "reasonably necessary" with the advancement and refinement of newer solutions.

My primary disclaimer is to make sure one is using a GOOD quality automatic (which is not cheap) and to carry an extra CO2 and bobbin in case of accidental (or life-saving) deployment.

My secondary disclaimer is to clarify that this is for folks who fish out of relatively stable kayaks on lakes (not ocean)... which represents 90+% of us on this particular forum.

My last disclaimer is to point out that one can "thread the needle" by having a foam PFD for cooler weather and a good-quality automatic PFD for hotter weather. Also, one can (and should) carry a foam PFD in case things turn bad and/or if you run out of CO2/bobbins.

You aint wrong Christain... the prudent thing to do is wear a traditional PFD. No doubt about it. However, human nature being what it is, a good quality automatic is a MUCH better choice than nothing at all for those of us who will take it off when it's hot.

Like you, this is my 2 cents and might only be worth just that. I fully appreciate that you are more experienced than most (perhaps all) of us and I greatly appreciate all of your advice (I really do). I am simply sharing my thoughts on the matter because I know there are jack-arses (like me) that absolutely hate PFD's and think they are good enough swimmers to "risk it".

Your points are taken. I'm just not sure most who get the co2 pfd are going to carry an extra cylinder and an extra foam pfd. I have been involved in several rescues in my time paddling and just am possibly over cautious because of that. I suppose I also get into sloppier water than most also. I just feel like no one should die kayaking.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Mike@972] #14807926 08/11/23 06:11 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

I’ve been in a lot of different waters in a kayak and admittedly water I should’ve been in. The worst was offshore when swells in the surf were 3-4 but increased to 5-6 about a mile out then got worse. We saw 7 foot rollers. It was horrible but we made it back without any issues. The second worst experience I had was on a lake. Forecast we for clear and mostly calm winds. A front that wasn’t supposed to make it to us ended up making it to us and within 20 minutes I was in 3-4 swells with winds gusting to 40. I peddled my Hobie as hard as I could into the wind for almost an hour before I reached a shoreline where I could wait it out.

Just because you’ve on a lake doesn’t mean you can take matters any differently than being several miles offshore. It’s still water.

I know that wasn’t what you meant at all Mike but I believe there are some who may take it as such.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14808039 08/11/23 07:52 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Usually lakes in rough conditions are much sportier than the ocean. The time between waves on a lake is at times much less than a second. In the salt the time between waves is usually longer, that means more time for correction strokes. The worst I was in was 2017 blue water kayak classic, 20+ft rollers with chop on top going a different direction and current going another. Second worse was lake superior, 6ish ft choppy water. It was freezing coldand windy as all get out. I was also in a big mess trying to pull up an anchor on keystone lake in okla. Ended up just cutting the line and letting the anchor go. All water wants to kill ya if your not careful and have enough knowledge to deal with the situation at hand.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: Jezreel] #14814281 08/17/23 02:28 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Jerry and Christion... I concede that y'all are more correct than me on this one. Christion, you said it best when you summarized "All water wants to kill you"... this was well said and something that each of us should remember every time we enter the water.

I'm making progress by at least donning a Mustang automatic each and every time (when I used to not wear one at all unless the water was cold)... I certainly would go foam if I ever went offshore (or in ocean-like lakes) and I do wear a foam PFD when I fish in water temps below 60ish degrees (cold water scares me almost as much as the squall did).

This has been a good exchange of ideas. Y'all are more correct and I am speaking on behalf of arrogant arses by "giving permission" to wear a good-quality automatic vs nothing at all (knowing that there a lot of folks who do not wear a PFD). In fairness to my situation, I am rarely more than 30' to 100' from the bank. I understand that this can still kill me, but being so close to the bank does mitigate the dangers a bit.

Personally, my largest concern with an automatic is reentering the kayak. This is a difficult task without a PFD getting in the way (I have only practiced without a PFD) and I think the automatic would make it even more difficult. I really need to try this one day to see just how difficult it is.

Good discussion. Thanks again for both of your contributions. This forum needs voices of experience.

Re: PFD - Inflatable or Foam Filled? ? ? [Re: christian myrick] #14818240 08/21/23 12:09 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I haven't read all the posts but foam all the way. You can get them comfortable enough to be good to wear all the time.they are constantly reliable. When you add gadgets they can fail. Thats not the area I'd like something to fail.

this
&you can jump in&cool off

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide