Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me #14930688 12/17/23 06:14 PM
Rangerkev Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I'm getting started on planning my Mexico fishing trip. I've never been and do not know anyone that has been. I know of El Salto, Baccarac and Sugar Lake. Are there others. I'm wanting a 4 day 5 night trip. I want to know the best lake for 5 to 6 pound fish with the chance for a 10 to 12. If that's asking to much then educate me. It's going to be a 1 and done trip for me. So I'm trying to get it right. I'm thing Nov,Dec or Jan next year. If you can go into a little bit of detail on your experience that would help. I'm only wanting first hand experience. I'm not trying to be an [censored], but first hand experience carriers more weight. Thanks . Looking forward to the info and education.

Rangerkev
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14930733 12/17/23 07:58 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...s-unbelievable-el-salto-too#Post14315617

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...l-salto-on-your-bucket-list#Post14315680

here's link to story/pictures i did on our trip in 2022 (we went peacock bass fishing in Brazil with ron speed last year)
suggest you call Bill Mullins at Ron Speed Adventures and arrange for a trip to El Salto.....we have gone down there 5 out of last 6 years and have reservations for next march 22-30 ....
be glad to answer any questions....

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14930754 12/17/23 08:37 PM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I would say you have the correct 3 choices right now. I have been to Baccarac several times and El Salto once. My biggest at Baccarac was 11 3/4 lbs, one day I caught 5 that went approximately 48 lbs.
My biggest at El Salto was 8 1/2 but like I said. I only fished it for 3 or 4 days.

Sugar Lake definitely has big fish, I hope to fish it one day.

Years ago Comedero was another great lake for big bass but no longer.

The numbers lake now is Picachos.

El Salto is easier to get to than Baccarac unless you take a charter plane. It is also more commercial, always a lot of boats on that lake.

The fishing in Mexico is usually much better than your local lake, it is so much fun fishing somewhere scenic and different. And when the fishing is hot down there you will change your tune about one and done.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14930779 12/17/23 09:08 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Sent ya a PM

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14930870 12/17/23 10:29 PM
G
GuyR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Sugar lake!

Easiest to get to and has loads of big fish.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: GuyR] #14931017 12/18/23 12:03 AM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted by GuyR
Sugar lake!

Easiest to get to and has loads of big fish.

Are there any outfitters on the lake? I see some of the falcon guides offer trips for $1000 a day. That’s a little steep for me.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14931035 12/18/23 12:41 AM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Ben going every year since 2016 with the exception of 2020 due to Covid to Lake Oviachic in Obregon, Mexico. We take our own boats, takes 3 days to get there just because of the logistics in getting accross the border. Coming back its 2 days. Total cost is about $1200 per person for a team of two. You pay for your own way. We fish for 6 days. You will catch 30 to 100 bass a day. Like all Mexican bass lakes they do best when the water level is falling everyday. Mexico uses water irrigation by flooding the fields with irrigation thru the fields. Lakes drop about 3 to 6 inches a day because of this process that they utilize for growing crops. Going again this February if you are interested in tagging along. Average size fish is 3 to 5 lbs, best I've caught down there is 9.25 lbs. What is so good about it is you are your own guide. You don't need one, buy you about 12 bags of watermelon brush hogs and flip every tree and bush you see. And make sure to bring gloves, they will leave your hands bleeding if not. We can load you a chip up and show you where to fish and where to run and where to be cautious. We don't fish the same water on the same trip as this lake is over 40,000 acres. Every year we learn something new. This is a poor mans version of Mexico Bass Fishing, but because you are your own guide I think it's the best there is. We drive into Nogolez, Arizona, stay the night and then cross the border the next morning at 6:00 am. Drive straight to the resort and come back in 6 days. We eat at the restaraunt a few nights and bring some of our own cooking as well. We make our own breakfasts and make our own lunches. This is a [censored] red neck get down to earth lip rippin bass trip, not for the weak as your back and arms are killing you after day two. By day four you have picked up your second wind and by day 6 the depression sets in because you have to face traveling back home.

Last edited by David Welcher; 12/18/23 12:54 AM.
Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: David Welcher] #14931125 12/18/23 02:58 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by David Welcher
Ben going every year since 2016 with the exception of 2020 due to Covid to Lake Oviachic in Obregon, Mexico. We take our own boats, takes 3 days to get there just because of the logistics in getting accross the border. Coming back its 2 days. Total cost is about $1200 per person for a team of two. You pay for your own way. We fish for 6 days. You will catch 30 to 100 bass a day. Like all Mexican bass lakes they do best when the water level is falling everyday. Mexico uses water irrigation by flooding the fields with irrigation thru the fields. Lakes drop about 3 to 6 inches a day because of this process that they utilize for growing crops. Going again this February if you are interested in tagging along. Average size fish is 3 to 5 lbs, best I've caught down there is 9.25 lbs. What is so good about it is you are your own guide. You don't need one, buy you about 12 bags of watermelon brush hogs and flip every tree and bush you see. And make sure to bring gloves, they will leave your hands bleeding if not. We can load you a chip up and show you where to fish and where to run and where to be cautious. We don't fish the same water on the same trip as this lake is over 40,000 acres. Every year we learn something new. This is a poor mans version of Mexico Bass Fishing, but because you are your own guide I think it's the best there is. We drive into Nogolez, Arizona, stay the night and then cross the border the next morning at 6:00 am. Drive straight to the resort and come back in 6 days. We eat at the restaraunt a few nights and bring some of our own cooking as well. We make our own breakfasts and make our own lunches. This is a [censored] red neck get down to earth lip rippin bass trip, not for the weak as your back and arms are killing you after day two. By day four you have picked up your second wind and by day 6 the depression sets in because you have to face traveling back home.

Been doing this for 35 years now and turning it over to David. Once you go on this trip you will be hooked and David will help get you ready for it each year. Hope you guys slay them this year.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14931389 12/18/23 03:05 PM
F
forkduc Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
I would suggest a combo to Salto and Picachos with Ron Speed.
Salto for size, Picachos for numbers.
Also, the easiest to get to. DFW to Mazatlan direct flights.
My favorite is Baccarac, which has size and numbers, but is harder to get to.
We fly DFW to SanDiego and the Tijuana to Los Mochis.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: cali kid] #14931423 12/18/23 03:38 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted by cali kid

I have heard that too. Do you know what happened? My best ever day of fishing was about 15 years ago on Commodero. Me and my partner caught 35 bass over 7 lbs in a single day. Most from a single spot about 10 yards wide and 30 yards long. It was an offshore spot the guide didn't know about since they are all bank beaters down there. Found it by accident when my partner threw the backlash from hell and the guide was picking it out and I was running the trolling motor. There was no telling how many big fish were on that offshore hump.

To the OP, I agree with a split trip to Picachos and El Salto. Hit Picachos first for a couple of days and get the numbers thing out of your system, then go spend 3 days at Salto concentrating on big fish.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14931543 12/18/23 05:30 PM
P
Pete Robbins Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
If you decide on El Salto, my advice would be to BOOK EARLY. Anglers Inn's Lake El Salto and Picachos lodges are effectively filled for Jan/Feb 2024, and I'm sure they will fill up quickly for 2025.

My wife and I have compiled over 150 articles about fishing in Mexico:
Guide to El Salto and Picachos

Happy to answer any other questions online or in a private message.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Texan Til I Die] #14932378 12/19/23 02:34 PM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I have heard that too. Do you know what happened? My best ever day of fishing was about 15 years ago on Commodero. Me and my partner caught 35 bass over 7 lbs in a single day. Most from a single spot about 10 yards wide and 30 yards long. It was an offshore spot the guide didn't know about since they are all bank beaters down there. Found it by accident when my partner threw the backlash from hell and the guide was picking it out and I was running the trolling motor. There was no telling how many big fish were on that offshore hump.

To the OP, I agree with a split trip to Picachos and El Salto. Hit Picachos first for a couple of days and get the numbers thing out of your system, then go spend 3 days at Salto concentrating on big fish.

I don't know for sure what happened to the fishing but I can tell you what one of the El Salto camp managers, Siguis, told me several years ago.

The first time I met Siguis was maybe 25 years ago, something like that, he was the camp manager at Comedero. He used to drive the school bus from the lodge to the lake in the morning. The fishing was fantastic, a lot of lures worked well but by far the lure numero uno back then was the iguana verde. We always dipped the tail in Spike it chartreuse garlic.

The one time I went to El Salto he was the manager where I stayed and we talked about Comodero. He told me there was a fish kill, maybe pesticides got in the lake.

The last trip I made to Comodero we had a party of about 12 anglers and the biggest bass caught was about 8 lbs. It was almost all small fish, very few 5 pounds and above.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: cali kid] #14932402 12/19/23 03:05 PM
P
Pete Robbins Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I don't know for sure what happened to the fishing but I can tell you what one of the El Salto camp managers, Siguis, told me several years ago.

The first time I met Siguis was maybe 25 years ago, something like that, he was the camp manager at Comedero. He used to drive the school bus from the lodge to the lake in the morning. The fishing was fantastic, a lot of lures worked well but by far the lure numero uno back then was the iguana verde. We always dipped the tail in Spike it chartreuse garlic.

The one time I went to El Salto he was the manager where I stayed and we talked about Comodero. He told me there was a fish kill, maybe pesticides got in the lake.

The last trip I made to Comodero we had a party of about 12 anglers and the biggest bass caught was about 8 lbs. It was almost all small fish, very few 5 pounds and above.

There were rumors among the guides at El Salto that it had something to do with a mining operation -- exacerbated by water fluctuation -- but I'm not sure if that was reliable, or if I misinterpreted due to my limited Spanish abilities.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14932512 12/19/23 04:51 PM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
It's a shame, that was a great lake years ago. I remember armed guards staying at the lodge the whole time we were there. When we went fishing they would go out on the lake and they and the guides had walkie talkies, if I remember correctly. This story I am about to tell happened many years ago, maybe 20.

I spoke with one of the guys who had been at the lodge when a robbery occurred out on the lake. This conversation took place at the lodge, the guy had returned to Comodero. A guy with a mask fired a few shots out on the water and forced the fishermen with their guide to go ashore where he robbed them of all their valuables. However, the guide recognized the robber's voice and he was caught soon after.

I was also told that one time a van was leaving the lake and a would be robber in the road fired a shot through the windshield when the driver didn't stop. This is a third hand story.

Anyway, it is a deep lake with steep banks and I caught a lot of nice bass on lizards, hard jerkbaits and Pop Rs. One day it was cloudy and raining. That night a front blew through, it was clear and cold, in the 30's.
We all thought the big bass window had closed and it was our last day. I was throwing the lizard in a little nondescript ravine that afternoon and caught an 11 pounder, it fought like a 5, i never knew it was a big bass until it was in the net. When we pulled up to the bank at the end of the day Gaylen Woolridge, I hope I spelled his name correctly, was on the bank and said "the California kid", lol. I am not from California but since I was living there at the time that is what stuck in his mind. Good times.

Re: A few questions on Mexico bass trip, educate me [Re: Rangerkev] #14932675 12/19/23 09:03 PM
Rangerkev Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I really appreciate the great info. As far as the one and done, that's because of health issues . And that would also keep me from doing the 6 or 7 day trip without guides. I hadn't thought about a split trip. I like that idea amd will check into it. . But I'm also intrigued with Sugar Lake. Is there a guide that does trips to Sugar. But doesn't charge $1000.00 a day. LOL. Once again thanks for the replies and PM'S. I've got some homework to do.

Rangerkev
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide