Print Thread
Your favorite rig...... #14936062 12/23/23 06:24 PM
B
Buc McMaster Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Over the last couple of years I have downsized my gear.........light lines, lighter action rods, smaller baits.......and I have landed on what instantly became my all-time favorite rod/reel setup. I fish the back bays and marshes of the gulf coast, chasing speckled trout for the most part and occasionally tangling with a redfish or flounder...........the speck is the fish for me. The rod is a Z Man Drew's Ned, 5' 10" of serious fun! Very light, very easy to cast and bait control is a step above what a longer rod can do. A Daiwa Exist taped on the Tennessee handle, in the spot that balances the rig perfectly.........it truly feels weightless in-hand. Yes, yes......I too was skeptical of a rod without a reel seat but this works so well it's ridiculous. Spooled up with 15# J-Braid Grand and a Berkley XT mono leader the reel performs flawlessly. The braid is an outstanding line and the tough mono leader holds up very well when toothy critters come biting. I toss soft plastics (paddle tails and stick baits) on barbless 1/16oz jig heads or keel-weighted hooks into depths of up to 18ft or so (yep......there are a few very deep winter holes in the back waters of the coast).

I've got a Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS on a 7' 4" Phenix Classic BFS rod that's a close second, but this 'short arm' rig is the perfect tool for the way I fish.

[Linked Image]

I realize that where and how I fish is quite specific and one rig won't do for many that fish a variety of situations (flipping in timber vs. blazing spinnerbaits over grass, for example), but if you could only fish one......what's your choice?

Knowin' where you're going' is mostly known' where you have been.
Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: Buc McMaster] #14947231 01/07/24 03:05 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
I don't know if I could fish with a reel taped on a rod with electrical tape.
That is a 900 dollar reel too. Seems odd, but to each his own

I have a tatula that is the 150 dollar version of that Exist and it is the best spinning reel I have ever owned. So amazingly light.

Last edited by outfishdya; 01/07/24 03:05 PM.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: outfishdya] #14947250 01/07/24 03:15 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by outfishdya
I don't know if I could fish with a reel taped on a rod with electrical tape.
That is a 900 dollar reel too. Seems odd, but to each his own

I have a tatula that is the 150 dollar version of that Exist and it is the best spinning reel I have ever owned. So amazingly light.

I've been away from the saltwater scene for a long time now so don't know if Tennessee handles are still popular or not anymore. It may look silly but it allows you to place the reel where ever you want to balance the rod which in turn makes it feel lighter.

Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: Buc McMaster] #14948194 01/08/24 02:04 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O
If I am paying over 1k on a rod and reel, I would hope they could get the balance right with reel seats. I couldn't fish with that, call it OCD or whatever

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: outfishdya] #14948225 01/08/24 02:22 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If I am paying over 1k on a rod and reel, I would hope they could get the balance right with reel seats. I couldn't fish with that, call it OCD or whatever

Not all reels weigh the same so balance point would be different for each one.

Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: outfishdya] #14950154 01/10/24 01:24 AM
B
Buc McMaster Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I don't know if I could fish with a reel taped on a rod with electrical tape

I felt the same........until I tried it. I do admit it looks a bit odd. Never have I found a fixed reel seat rod that balances with any reel........they are always tip-heavy. This little rig balances perfectly and feels weightless......a good thing for old wrists and shoulders!

Knowin' where you're going' is mostly known' where you have been.
Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: Buc McMaster] #14962922 01/20/24 08:39 PM
R
ReelOldGeezer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
My favorite rig to cast is not one that sees a lot of use. PXL Type R on a Fenwick Aetos 6'6" MLM. Just a fun (and light) combo. And the only rod that short that I enjoy using. Puts a smile on my face every time. As far as which combo is my favorite to use day in day out.....don't know...yet. Yesterday I receive a Zillion SV TW G. Everything I read about this reel suggests it will be my new favorite. As for which rod? Up in the air. Moved to Florida last year. Restricted to bank fishing so I'm going to make a WAG and say it will be a MH or H rod. Toadface, Techna AV MHF, Expert Amistad, Rainshadow RX7 MHF, Witch Doctor Shaman MHF or H-XF, Zolo Deputy, Orocjii XX Diablo Spec R or a custom Lamiglas Infinity 864. Might as well pair it with one of my expensive rods. grin

Enjoy my Smallmouth 610" MF and a few other Mediums, but don't think they would work very well unless I can find a fairly weed free shore area to fish.

BTW, one of my most favorite reels is one few have heard of and fewer used. Pinnacle Primmus HS Xi. I'd have to make minor adjustments to my reels every trip down to Florida except for this reel. Even my Curado 201E7 needed minor adjusting. Adjustments were needed because of the change in my casting stroke. Home I wasn't near anyone. In Florida I was in a 14' Gheeny and had to shorten my casting stroke. Especially when the backcast was near my brother-in-law. For some reason he didn't take to the idea of getting hooked. This resulted in more jerks at the end of the backcast than I would like to admit to. blush

Re: Your favorite rig...... [Re: outfishdya] #14974646 01/31/24 10:49 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G

I think I'm with you.

I prefer a 7' foot rod (spinning of casting). I do love my Dobyns rod with my Curado DC.

Last edited by Greg Z; 01/31/24 10:52 PM.

Greg Ziemer
214-597-6006
Sewell Lexus
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide