Forums59
Topics1,040,513
Posts13,982,743
Members144,239
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Ghost4BH] #15040323 04/08/24 04:29 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Ghost4BH
No way I’d ever buy that engine. If buying a GM go with the 6.2. My wife’s Yukon has the 6.2 and it’s a beast.

With that said, I recently bought another Tundra which has the TT V6. I have been pleased with the performance of the Toyota TT V6.

I need a report before next year. Son will be taking over my tundra and I will be getting a new one for his b day. I really liked the 5.7 engine

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: WAWI] #15040381 04/08/24 05:30 PM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by WAWI
No way I’d ever buy that engine. If buying a GM go with the 6.2. My wife’s Yukon has the 6.2 and it’s a beast.

With that said, I recently bought another Tundra which has the TT V6. I have been pleased with the performance of the Toyota TT V6.

I need a report before next year. Son will be taking over my tundra and I will be getting a new one for his b day. I really liked the 5.7 engine

So far so good. I opted for a limited 4WD w/o the hybrid. The hybrid gives about 40 more HP, but you lose all under seat storage and it costs about $5k-$6k more. I didn’t think the hp gain was worth it, especially losing all storage for a stupid battery and the increase in price.

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Ghost4BH] #15040444 04/08/24 06:25 PM
B
BassFever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

So far so good. I opted for a limited 4WD w/o the hybrid. The hybrid gives about 40 more HP, but you lose all under seat storage and it costs about $5k-$6k more. I didn’t think the hp gain was worth it, especially losing all storage for a stupid battery and the increase in price.

What mpg are you losing as well?

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #15040486 04/08/24 06:54 PM
S
Space Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I had a 6.0 in my last GMC 1/2 ton it was a good fit. I currently have 3.5 with 385 hp in my F150 both are good trucks but the 150 is better.

Last edited by Space; 04/08/24 06:55 PM.
Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: BassFever] #15040490 04/08/24 06:56 PM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by BassFever

What mpg are you losing as well?

The hybrid drive in the Tundra is not for MPG but more for HP gain.

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Jeeper92] #15040760 04/08/24 11:16 PM
T
TXanalogkd Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by Jeeper92
My disclaimer, I am a GM employee. Through our car program at work, I have used the turbo 4cyl truck. I have driven around and towed my 21' Fxi skeeter boat with it. I am going to give you my overall thoughts.

Pros:
- It runs like a v8. It's as fast as the 5.3, it pulls as well as a 5.3.
- I didn't want to like the engine...i mean it's a 4 banger...but I came away very impressed.
- It's a high torque motor. The engine was designed from the ground up to be a truck motor. It's not an equinox engine stuffed in a truck. Supposedly they had diesel engineers help with the design.
- Pulled my boat well. Engine isn't high revving like you'd expect.

Cons
- the gas mileage is about that of the 5.3. I was hoping better. The stats say it's slightly better in city but not sure how much we'd notice.

other thoughts:
- I am wondering about durability compared to the v8. To me this is a a big unknown. Not to say that 5.3s don't have issues along the way. I am not in engineering so don't have any insider information but curious how they age compared to the v8. You have less cylinder so less valves, less connecting arms, less everything that can go wrong which is a big plus to me. But it does have a turbo. I think it's likely they age better.
- I actually started looking at used trucks and if I saw a 4cyl, I'd buy without hestiation. But only '22 and up. That's when they drastically increased the torque.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Even through I work for GM, my views are more of someone that has used it. Be glad to answer questions but like I said, it's not like I can call the people who designed it. Just my opinion of using the truck several times over the course of a month or two.

Great report, and you make a great point about the four cylinder engine.

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #15040825 04/09/24 12:14 AM
M
MDM Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M

I bought a ‘23 Silverado with the turbo 4 cylinder in September. So far so good. Sounds like a 4 cylinder till you punch the gas then the power immediately shows itself. Have had three V8 Suburbans the previous 20 years towing boats up to 6,000 lbs. The turbo 4 pulls the same 21’ bass boat better than those V8s by quite a bit. Mileage is 22-23 without the boat and 14-15 with. And GM recommends regular unleaded, unlike the big V8’s premium gas requirement or the 3.0 diesel which was a big upfront purchase adder plus diesel was then running $.50-75/gallon higher than regular unleaded.

Did not consider the 5.3 V8 due to concerns with the widespread GM lifter failure issues. Even my main mechanic (an ex GM dealership mechanic that now has his own independent shop) had his wife’s Tahoe suffer lifter failure at 17,000 miles. Stranded them for a while then the warranty fun began.

Believe my ‘23 has 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty which was upped to 100,000 miles for ‘24s. Only time will tell about long, long time durability but I got some comfort from watching a Youtube interview with the GM Chief engineer for this engine and he emphasized it was designed as a turbo truck engine from the ground up, not an existing 4 cylinder that they bolted a turbo on.

Just looking at it you can’t tell it’s a four cylinder and driving you would be impressed with the performance. Now if GM would just put a big engine sound generator on it, it would touch all the bases!

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Ghost4BH] #15040931 04/09/24 01:36 AM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S

Local dealer keeps sending me letters wanted me to trade my Tundra. No way am I ready to give up my 5.7. That and i have certain mods i want to keep. They state I will see $5k to $6k in fuel savings over the life of the the truck. I say no way and any savings will be offset by higher cost. Typical dealer carp. Also looking at that truck I think that nose sits so low that it will hang up on curbs and thought Fords sat low in the front. Toyota needs to put a different suspension on 4x4s like manufacturers did in the old days. First thing I did when I bought my 2017 was but Bilstein 6112 coilovers on the front and raise it 2".

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Stump jumper] #15040971 04/09/24 02:09 AM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Stump jumper

Local dealer keeps sending me letters wanted me to trade my Tundra. No way am I ready to give up my 5.7. That and i have certain mods i want to keep. They state I will see $5k to $6k in fuel savings over the life of the the truck. I say no way and any savings will be offset by higher cost. Typical dealer carp. Also looking at that truck I think that nose sits so low that it will hang up on curbs and thought Fords sat low in the front. Toyota needs to put a different suspension on 4x4s like manufacturers did in the old days. First thing I did when I bought my 2017 was but Bilstein 6112 coilovers on the front and raise it 2".

Tundra with the TRD off road package come from the factory with Bilstein shocks and have for a few years. My son’s 2014 TRD Tacoma has bilsteins. Toyota is even offering a 3” factory lift on some TRD off road packages. I’ll probably raise mine up some, but want to do it all the way around, not just a level.

If you do decide to buy another, skip the DFW Toyota dealerships, they all were pretty much worthless. I ended up buying from Toyota of Cedar Park. They beat the best price I got around here by a large margin.

Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Ghost4BH] #15041063 04/09/24 03:24 AM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S

Tundra with the TRD off road package come from the factory with Bilstein shocks and have for a few years. My son’s 2014 TRD Tacoma has bilsteins. Toyota is even offering a 3” factory lift on some TRD off road packages. I’ll probably raise mine up some, but want to do it all the way around, not just a level.

If you do decide to buy another, skip the DFW Toyota dealerships, they all were pretty much worthless. I ended up buying from Toyota of Cedar Park. They beat the best price I got around here by a large margin.

When I bought my 2017 I really wanted a PRO. I met a game warden at Lavon when I had the Tacoma Baja. He recommended Toyota dealer in Mount Pleasant where he bought a Tacoma PRO. He got a very rare discount off MSRP on the PRO. I would have been happy with MSRP on PRO. I called dealer and he wanted to add a mark up. I told him I don't pay markups. He said your loss. I said no yours and told him to pound sand. Then I called dealer in Paris and same [censored]. I asked for a truck with with no dealer or port add ons. He said we don't sell any that way. I said I won't pay for them. I bought 2 trucks at dealer in Rockwall. Dealt with sales director on both and he treated me good. He left for GM job in Oregon. I tried to work a deal with the new sales group on Tundra. Hit a wall on trade in. There were 2 of them in the room when I said "ok I will just sell it myself". When the dude sitting next to me said "good luck with that" I said "no good luck to you aholes".

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: Stump jumper] #15041219 04/09/24 12:11 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P

When I bought my 2017 I really wanted a PRO. I met a game warden at Lavon when I had the Tacoma Baja. He recommended Toyota dealer in Mount Pleasant where he bought a Tacoma PRO. He got a very rare discount off MSRP on the PRO. I would have been happy with MSRP on PRO. I called dealer and he wanted to add a mark up. I told him I don't pay markups. He said your loss. I said no yours and told him to pound sand. Then I called dealer in Paris and same [censored]. I asked for a truck with with no dealer or port add ons. He said we don't sell any that way. I said I won't pay for them. I bought 2 trucks at dealer in Rockwall. Dealt with sales director on both and he treated me good. He left for GM job in Oregon. I tried to work a deal with the new sales group on Tundra. Hit a wall on trade in. There were 2 of them in the room when I said "ok I will just sell it myself". When the dude sitting next to me said "good luck with that" I said "no good luck to you aholes".

Vast majority of Rockwall folks are higher income and don't want the hassle of selling a vehicle on their own to save a few grand, so the dealers know this and make terrible trade offers. I've seen it time and time again - Rockwall is one of the worst places I've ever seen to buy and sell vehicles because of it.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: General Motors truck motor question ? [Re: UGLYSHCTICK] #15041284 04/09/24 01:10 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
U
Thanks for the input. Went in with prospects for a Silverado ..... left with a Blazer......?

Women !!!! go figure.

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Happy Spouse ..... Keep your house

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide