nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.
There are apps that can do it, but they aren't free and they require setup. We use one at work for emergency communications, mass casualty events, etc. Ours functions as an email to text app. We have several groups already setup with both email addresses and cell numbers. When you send an email to one of the groups, both an email and a text message goes out to them. Works great.

^^^ This ^^^

It's rather simple and there are many programs to send mass texts. That is why most "larger" tournament organizations ask for a cell phone #. They build a data base containing everyone's contact info and it take seconds to text the entire data base.

It’s been said that they already have this in place through an app, correct?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Douglas J] #15054433 04/23/24 01:30 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Sending out 750 text messages all at once probably isn’t even a possibility for a TD.
There are apps that can do it, but they aren't free and they require setup. We use one at work for emergency communications, mass casualty events, etc. Ours functions as an email to text app. We have several groups already setup with both email addresses and cell numbers. When you send an email to one of the groups, both an email and a text message goes out to them. Works great.

^^^ This ^^^

It's rather simple and there are many programs to send mass texts. That is why most "larger" tournament organizations ask for a cell phone #. They build a data base containing everyone's contact info and it take seconds to text the entire data base.

For sure but not surprising the THSBA leadership haven't figured out how to do this, or should I say lack of leadership.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Douglas J] #15054434 04/23/24 01:32 AM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J

^^^ This ^^^

Exactly!

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: nfhbass] #15054435 04/23/24 01:32 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I am not going to throw stones at the TD, but for anyone to set here and say it was ok for experienced anglers to be out in that weather, much less a couple hundred kids is nuts. We have to protect our kids from themselves, they do not know any better, of course the hard core kids are wanting to fish, I would have been exactly the same, but that don't make it a smart decision. Happy to hear there were no accidents.

[Linked Image]
Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054489 04/23/24 02:14 AM
D
Duke 22 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I was at a baseball tournament Saturday at Rocker B Ranch on the east side of PK, we had 8am and 9:45 games and the kids played in the rain. By the time our last game was over it was pretty sporty weather wise, I damn sure wouldn't have been on the water and there is no way a high school tournament should have been being fished, someone deserved a beating behind the woodshed for not calling it.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Happykamper] #15054563 04/23/24 03:21 AM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Happykamper
I am not going to throw stones at the TD, but for anyone to set here and say it was ok for experienced anglers to be out in that weather, much less a couple hundred kids is nuts. We have to protect our kids from themselves, they do not know any better, of course the hard core kids are wanting to fish, I would have been exactly the same, but that don't make it a smart decision. Happy to hear there were no accidents.

Couldn’t agree more

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054566 04/23/24 03:27 AM
T
T-Slab Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
T
Glad I’m not part of that [censored] show any longer. 3 years was enough of that cluster, seen a lot of risky decisions in my time there. I feel for the teams that truly had a chance at moving on to state but chose to leave early for safety purposes which I commend the captains for. I know there were some in this predicament and TD screwed these kids over. That tournament should have been postponed for ONE day on Sunday to allow all entrants an equal full day of fishing. The storms were being predicted for days leading up to Saturday.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054694 04/23/24 01:09 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
this instance the directors got lucky that no one was injured you cant leave it up to fishermen to make the right choice to go or not because there will be some that would go out with a tornado on the other side of the lake. those trophys are really important to some.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: T-Slab] #15054695 04/23/24 01:09 PM
Barrett Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by T-Slab
Glad I’m not part of that [censored] show any longer. 3 years was enough of that cluster, seen a lot of risky decisions in my time there. I feel for the teams that truly had a chance at moving on to state but chose to leave early for safety purposes which I commend the captains for. I know there were some in this predicament and TD screwed these kids over. That tournament should have been postponed for ONE day on Sunday to allow all entrants an equal full day of fishing. The storms were being predicted for days leading up to Saturday.

Why do you think they didn't reschedule for the following day?

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054867 04/23/24 03:29 PM
S
Strugglebus Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
I live in South Texas so I dont have to ever worry about rain, and have no dog in this fight.... but... something strikes me as interesting as I have been reading this. A lot of us talk about how this generation of snowflakes are soft and how we had it so much harder and are better off for it. "We are real men and know how to persevere through difficult situations, etc". But in this instance everyone is ready to hang a guy who let the kids and captains decide for themselves. This is also kind of like the folks who think the regular citizens are too stupid to make good choices, and need the govt to tell them what to do. Seems to me a lot of kids learned that fishing is sometimes hard, what to do when you are fishing and see lightning, and when to call it a day. Props to the TD, kids learned lessons, and no one was hurt. Maybe by luck, but also maybe by boat captains putting to use the skills THEY learned from their CAPTAINS when they were kids....

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Strugglebus] #15054874 04/23/24 03:39 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Strugglebus
I live in South Texas so I dont have to ever worry about rain, and have no dog in this fight.... but... something strikes me as interesting as I have been reading this. A lot of us talk about how this generation of snowflakes are soft and how we had it so much harder and are better off for it. "We are real men and know how to persevere through difficult situations, etc". But in this instance everyone is ready to hang a guy who let the kids and captains decide for themselves. This is also kind of like the folks who think the regular citizens are too stupid to make good choices, and need the govt to tell them what to do. Seems to me a lot of kids learned that fishing is sometimes hard, what to do when you are fishing and see lightning, and when to call it a day. Props to the TD, kids learned lessons, and no one was hurt. Maybe by luck, but also maybe by boat captains putting to use the skills THEY learned from their CAPTAINS when they were kids....

There isn’t skill involved in dodging lightning bolts, that is luck. You don’t teach kids how to be lucky, you teach kids to be smart.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: T-Slab] #15054875 04/23/24 03:39 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by T-Slab

This! I fished it 2 years with my boys, and that was enough. There's no regards to safety at all in these tournaments. Ive watched captains/dads that have no business or no clue how to drive a boat. Its a matter of time before there is a bad accident around here in one of these tournaments.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Txduckhunter] #15054889 04/23/24 03:45 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
I've beached the boat during storms (and know a couple of other captains that did as well) or took cover in someone's boat slip.
I've also been in a HS event that was called early due to weather. We were already in a slip taking cover when the call came and we just waited until it blew through before we loaded up. I did call and make contact with the TD to let them know we were "stuck" but safe and we would proceed when it was safe to move about. There was no lightning near us but the cells coming were showing to be really bad. It was the right call, even though we were a little pissed because we felt we needed to make a couple more culls and believed we could have done it. (still got the "W" though)

If your worried about your kids dodging bullets with someone else, you have a few options.
Buy a boat and take them yourself.
Find a captain you trust with your kids.
Buy your kids "Bassmaster" on Xbox and keep them home in your comfortable living room.

I can tell you from an experience one of my buddies had that sitting it out in a metal covered boat slip isn’t safe either.
Get to the bank and away from the water.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054890 04/23/24 03:46 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Thsba associate should scrap those weather policies if they expect a waiver to hold weight in court.

Re: HS tournament on PK [Re: Barrett] #15054896 04/23/24 03:50 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
So did they hang the TD yet, if not I'd like to know when the public execution is hung

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide