Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,040,443
Posts13,981,578
Members144,237
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
"Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" #15065048 05/05/24 04:47 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy OP
aka "Dad"
OP Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Hey guys, tomorrow will be the start of my fifth week of weightlifting, cardio training, and generally getting myself into a shape other than round. It's been at least 25 years since I lifted weights regularly, and it's kind of galling to see how low I have to set the machines in order to do any meaningful number of reps . . . I can recall being able to bench press 230+ as a kid. Now I'm doing 50 to 70 pounds.

Was in the hospital with the Wuhan flu in 2021 for almost three weeks, and it came pretty damn close to killing me. Took over a year to get my lungs recovered to the point that I no longer need portable oxygen on a daily basis. Still take the portable O2 concentrator when I fly though, and my typical O2 levels on a daily basis are 92-95%. So for the couple years I've had even less physical activity than I need and have gotten even more out of shape. My weight has consistently been 280-290 for the past few years, and it finally hit home one day when I went swimming with my daughter ... she was mortified when I took my shirt off for the pool and begged me not to do that again.

So I signed up at Thrive (the Lewisville community center) for a family membership, which is a screaming deal in my opinion, and started on a low-weight, high-rep workout plan. Have been seeing my primary care doctor, cardiologist, and my pulmonary doctor as I do this, as my heart & lungs really took a beating in 2021 and I don't want to burst something, heh. While I can't SEE any meaningful changes when I look in the mirror, the doctors scales tell me that I've put on weight - first time in my life that I've weighed over 300 pounds (holy [censored]!!) But she said that's due to muscle gain, and that any meaningful fat loss will take 4-6 months. But even though I can't see any changes, some of my Wranglers that have been just a bit too tight to wear for the past few years now fit me again - snug, but they fit.

My basic approach is low weights, with three sets of 30 reps. Goal here is more cardiovascular & lung capacity than building big muscles right now. It seems to be working - my resting pulse rate before I started was typically in the 70's or 80's. Now it's in the 60's and even into the high 50's. For comparison, my 'resting' pulse rate just after the hospital was 90-100. Also using the rowing machine, battle ropes, and inclined treadmill in small doses to build up endurance.

One note about using the fitness equipment at Thrive vs a 'professional' gym is that there are so many older and out of shape people using it that I don't feel self-conscious at all. I walked through a couple fitness studios in town first and it's rather unsettling to see everyone in those places who look like professional athletes. I much prefer being in a place where I can go at my own pace and FEEL OK going at my own pace. It's also really nice to have the pools down on the first floor to use afterwards (and yes, I know that swimming is a great way to burn more fat).

Right now, I'm not aiming for any particular weight numbers - my 'targets' are heartrates (active, resting, and how quickly it recovers after workouts), O2 levels, blood pressure, etc. Once I can see visible differences in my upper body, then I'll worry about weight numbers.

Wish me luck guys. I might inflict some selfies on you just to track my progress.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065119 05/05/24 06:04 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Good luck sir and hang in there. Covid nearly got my wife. She was on supplemental O2 for over a month afterwards.

Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065357 05/05/24 11:41 PM
T
Ted Dyer Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Good for you! Staying with it is the hardest part

flagtexas
Courage - knowing something will hurt and still doing it.
Stupidity - knowing something will hurt and still doing it.

That’s why life is difficult
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065394 05/06/24 12:25 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
I commend you for trying to get healthier. Your diet (what you eat, not what program you follow) will be most important. There is such a strong correlation between gut health and the brain and body. I've lost 128 pounds, 12 inches off my chest, 28 inches off my waist, these last 2.5 years...and it's been primarily by following a Mediterranean style diet and using intermittent fasting to control what times I can eat, because I have an issue with being an emotional eater. What has worked for me may not work for you, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065609 05/06/24 12:11 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Best of luck Zac!
- Consistency is key.
- Throw your scale in the nearest dumpster.
- Let your body be your guide and not your ego. (What you did in the weight room 25 years ago does not matter. What you do today does.)
- Eat to fuel; not because you are bored. Incorporate protein in your snacks.
Enjoy the journey and make it part of the everyday.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065660 05/06/24 01:24 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Zac, you got this sir! The first hurdle is behind you. You are now onto changing your life for the better. Take it slow, stay consistent, and don't let the small things interrupt you. As above in H2O's post eating to fuel your body is key. When you work out, you might find that you're hungry more often. Snack healthy as you need the right fuel to build / repair the muscles. One thing to add, I found that when I would walk 3-5 miles daily, I would lose weight without even noticing the stress over benefit. Which made it my choice of working out. I found that each walk, I would pace myself faster each time. Maybe one day, I'll be able to jog / run that distance.

Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065701 05/06/24 02:30 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Great job so far Zac! After 5 weeks, you are well on the way of starting a brand new habit. For me, that has always been the worst part of getting back in shape.

A note on diet - as you start lifting heavier weights, you may find the workouts make you ravenously hungry. Your body is building muscle, and it is literally looking for materials with which to build. Start incorporating high protein snacks into your daily intake directly AFTER a workout. As soon as possible afterward, like in the car on your way home. For this snack, think something half the size of your fist. 1/4 cup of peanuts, half a chicken breast, one or two boiled eggs... something like that.

Doing this will give you the protein you need WHEN you need it most. It will help your cravings at night and keep you from destroying all you are working for by eating double portions at dinner.

Great job so far! Keep it up!

Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15065735 05/06/24 03:19 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Great job! Sounds like a lot of steps in the right direction.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15072659 05/14/24 12:20 PM
aka "Dad"
OP Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Well, last Saturday I decided to see how much I could lift after five weeks of the low weights. Bench press 150, leg press 300. Couldn't do either of those before I started, and it helps seeing that much improvement that quickly. In the meantime, I'm nudging the weights on my regular workout up by 10-15 pounds as I'm able to hit the target reps.

Keeping a jar of dry roast peanuts in the truck like Coff alluded to - yes, it helps to keep my dinner portions more manageable.

Only truly maddening thing for me is that cardio workouts tend to have my oxygen levels drop down to 86%-88%, so that's limiting me so far to about 10-12 minutes at a stretch. When I'm lifting weights, even on really high rep sets, my levels stay in the mid-90's or even go up close to 100%.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15073356 05/14/24 10:53 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Well, last Saturday I decided to see how much I could lift after five weeks of the low weights. Bench press 150, leg press 300. Couldn't do either of those before I started, and it helps seeing that much improvement that quickly. In the meantime, I'm nudging the weights on my regular workout up by 10-15 pounds as I'm able to hit the target reps.

Keeping a jar of dry roast peanuts in the truck like Coff alluded to - yes, it helps to keep my dinner portions more manageable.

Only truly maddening thing for me is that cardio workouts tend to have my oxygen levels drop down to 86%-88%, so that's limiting me so far to about 10-12 minutes at a stretch. When I'm lifting weights, even on really high rep sets, my levels stay in the mid-90's or even go up close to 100%.

I'd think you were sent home with an incentive spirometer (the breathing thingy hospitals use to keep you from getting pneumonia) after your bout with Covid. If not, you might ask your pulmonologist about using one to help strengthening your lungs.

And congratulations!

Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15073776 05/15/24 01:48 PM
S
spazm09 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
"Inflict some selfies on you" is a great line!

Keep up the great work sir.

[Linked Image]
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: LoneStarSon] #15073891 05/15/24 04:10 PM
aka "Dad"
OP Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

I'd think you were sent home with an incentive spirometer (the breathing thingy hospitals use to keep you from getting pneumonia) after your bout with Covid. If not, you might ask your pulmonologist about using one to help strengthening your lungs.

And congratulations!

Yes, I was sent home with that - actually had two, one from each hospital. Used them heavily for quite some time, and lung capacity is where it should be. But the alveoli are still scarred up and some may never heal completely, so my oxygen levels are rarely at 100% nowadays

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: "Hello, my name is Zac, and I've finally started doing something about my weight" [Re: Uncle Zeek] #15073908 05/15/24 04:25 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I have been doing a protein smoothie each morning. 1/2 a nanner, 2 scoops protein powder, 8 oz almond milk. ( you ever see a tit on a almond) it gets me to dinner most days. and helps with my protein. I'm to the point of needing to buy clothese that fit. I cant pull the trigger yet. Way to go Zac. keep it up.

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide